Public
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Star Spotlight #1 Jenn Chen (Demandforce)

Retired Community Manager

“Be bold. Be passionate. Be yourself.”

Jenn Chen, Community Manager – Intuit Demandforce

We wanted to know what it’s like being a Community Manager at Intuit Demandforce – and no better person than the one and only Jenn Chen to give us the inside scoop. Listen to what she has to say about her uniquely diverse community in the video below, then keep scrolling down to get her perspective on what it takes to be a top notch community manager today!

What’s a typical day in your world look like?

That’s really tough – every day is basically a new adventure. But if I had to sum it up, I’d say that my biggest responsibility is ensuring that my community is problem-free. I rely on my team of customer care leads, moderators, and social media managers to inform me of any red flags that pop up so we can come up with solutions and deal with them immediately. And when I’m not dealing directly with the community, I’m constantly brainstorming ideas for new initiatives and incentives to keep our community engaged. That’s such a fun part of my job – and it’s those initiatives and incentives that make it so much easier to align our community efforts with our company’s broader goals.

Tell us about a campaign you’ve produced that’s made you really proud.

One campaign that I’m most proud of was a program we called “Bridging the Gap.” It was essentially customers telling stories about what life like was for them before and after using our product. To up the ante and encourage more customers to tell us their stories, we turned it into a pretty cool contest wherein nine winners, along with our amazing super-users, were flown out to San Francisco to have a tour of the city, visit the Demandforce offices, meet our executives, and have a visit with our Marketing, Product, and Client Services teams. This was a big win for everyone involved, not only because it allowed us to better understand our customers’ experiences and needs, but also because it provided our customers with a truly unique opportunity to get to know one another, meet our team, and explore our incredible (and beautiful) city. It makes me smile just thinking about it!

What would you say are your top 3 tips for managing a successful community?

This one’s a no-brainer. Here’s my recipe for success:

• Be Passionate: Love your company, love your customers, and love your team. These people are at the core of your day-to-day life as a community manager. You’ve got to not only love what you do, but also love the people who benefit from the work you do.

• Be Bold: Don’t be afraid to try new things or throw out crazy ideas for consideration. If it’s not a slam dunk, at least you’ll know early on so you can move on to dream up even better ideas down the road.  

• Be Yourself: Allow your voice to come through, whether in a meeting, in an email, or via one of your many posts. You just can’t be shy as a community manager.

JENN’S LITHIUM “STREET CRED”

What makes Jenn a Lithium All-Star? Here are some pretty stand out stats from Jenn’s participation in the Lithium Community over the past year.

blog_starspotlight_JennChen_stats.png

WHO IS JENN CHEN?

Jenn is the talented and creative Community Manager for Intuit Demandforce, an automated communications and marketing platform. She has a background in technical support, constantly focused on delivering the best experience possible for Demandforce customers. She is an Honored Contributor in our community, an All-Star in the Lithium Stars program, she is certified in Lithium Community Management I & II and also has killer rhyming skills. She is also a major foodie at heart – never turning down an opportunity to bake something delicious or enjoy her favorite foods. In fact, Jenn’s “claim to (eating) fame” is gobbling down 26 extra large slices of pizza in one sitting! Pass the Mylanta…

ABOUT INTUIT DEMANDFORCE

Demandforce is an automated marketing and customer communications SaaS provider for small businesses, based in San Francisco, CA. They have been a Lithium customer since September 2012.

8 Comments
Honored Contributor

Whoop whoop @jchen was great seeing your vid and i love “Be bold. Be passionate. Be yourself.”

Honored Contributor

Good to get to know you a little better Jenn. Looking forward to hearing from other Stars. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Fellsteruk and @JasonHill ! This was so much fun and I look forward to reading about others.

Special thanks to @EricHs , @JulieH and @DayleH for all your hard work. 

Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Love this!  Thanks for sharing, Jenn.

Honored Contributor

Yay, Jenn! Great job - love it. Good to see your face. 😄

Trusted Contributor

Awesome interview. Love the Bridging the Gap campaign and look forward to picking your brain about it at LiNC! Well done @jchen & Lithium team!

BTW - I have a shirt that says:

be Happy.

be Beautiful.

be You.

Totally wearing it at LiNC and getting a picture with the famous Jenn Chen! 

Honored Contributor

@SusanCinadr , you sure do know how to make a community manager's day! Thank you for your kind words, and I definitely look forward to connecting (or linking...haha) at LiNC!

Honored Contributor

@jchen - Great vid, Smiley Happy Thanks for sharing.