Khoros Atlas Logo

For Those About To Blog - We Salute You

Khoros Oracle
Khoros Oracle

I saw a shirt the other day that said in bold white letters, "Nobody reads your blog".  The phrase was peeking out from underneath a corduroy blazer,worn by a scruffy looking fellow.  In San Francisco, you see these types pretty regularly.  Creative, a little brash, and usually pretty jaded on what everybody (that is up to date) calls the web 2.0 world.  It is likely that he is a veteran of the dot-bomb era, and probably has had a subscription to Wired since 1992.  I had to laugh.

It was no small comfort at the time of my chortle, that I, Jake (one of the OG Customer SuccessManagers here at Lithium), had no blog.  But that changed a few weeks ago when Lithium asked me to start keeping one.  They said that “I was made to blog”.  When I repeated that back to my Dad (feeling a bit of pride), he quite proudly beamed back, "whats a blog"?  If the shirt fits...

So after describing what a blog was to my un-tech savvy Father, he replied with, "so you could be like Mike Royko, and have a column?”  Well, Dad, we cant all be astronauts, can we?

For those of you that might want to keep up with my “column”, you’ll find that I’m not going to be the typical Silicon Valley blogger software industry guy.  This may, or may not, get me into trouble and/or result in me being less popular than those guys and gals.  That’s ok.  I had the same problem in high school.  I’m old-school unpopular.  My Trapper Keeper had AC/DC scrawled on it,not new kids on the block.

Speaking of which,what happened here – http://forums.sonybmgmusic.com/acdc/

Though it might bring me great pleasure to throw stones at the message board software running that thing, I am hardwired to never say anything bad about AC/DC at any time.

Message Edited by JakeR on 09-04-2008 10:34 AM
Tags (2)
About the Author
I've been a message board fanatic for about 19 years. As much as I can appreciate Blogs and Wikis, forums are really my favorite. I collect records and am into the audiophile hobby, so I visit many forums related to those subjects. Over the years I have been a superuser and/or an Administrator on different hobbyist forums (and community platforms). Also, I have run my own private community for the last 15 years and continue to learn and shape most of my best practices by being in the trenches.
3 Comments
Occasional Commentator neilb
Occasional Commentator

Jake,

I read your blog. You can rest well tonight!

shephardd
New Commentator

Jake,

Nice first post, gave me a "Brain Shake" - "Have A Drink On Me". I can see "There's Gonna Be Some Rockin". "It's a Long Way To The Top", so "Ride On" "Rocker". Don't worry about your "School  Days" and that "Riff Raff" just keep "Breaking The Rules" for "Anything Goes" "If You Dare". You might not be an astronaut, but "What's Next To The Moon"?

Khoros Oracle
Khoros Oracle

Hah, thanks.  Its nice not to have my first blog article not "Shot Down in Flames".

You'll find that my blog articles will probably draw in their fair share of references to motorcycles, hi-fi gear, and good 'ol ruck & roll.  If you're an AC/DC fan you should check out the first 3 Rose Tattoo albums.  Brutal Aussie rock from the same era that kicks just as hard.

BTW, if you know of any good AC/DC hobbyist / fan forums, please post the links or PM them to me.