cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LiNC '16: Insider's Guide to SF

Retired Community Manager

With LiNC just a few weeks away, we want you to get the most out of your time here! Whether you're coming from across the country, around the world or right across the Bay, here are some of our top recommendations of what to do in SF, from some familiar faces at Lithium.

Insider's Guide to SF.png

Yerba Buena Gardens | @JennC
Just right across from the Marriot Marquis where we'll be for LiNC, this is the perfect place to retreat for some fresh air! Check out the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, a beautiful waterfall with famous quotes from MLK, or stop by Samovar Tea Lounge for a quick bite to eat.

Ride a Cable Car@BeverlyD
What better way to get around San Fran then to travel by a means that has been in operation since 1873.  Basically, there are three cable car routes in operation, and it helps to know their respective destinations. Grab on and have fun!!!

Lunch at Delica (Ferry Building) | @JaniceK
For a low-key lunch with good people watching, grab a bento box at Delica in the Ferry Building, sit outside watching the ferries come & go. Just watch out for the seagulls- apparently they like Japanese food (or any food for that matter)! Wash it down with a gingersnap from Miette bakery (also at the Ferry Bldg). Enjoy!

Golden Gate Park | @RichRe
Whether you're an adult or a kid, you will enjoy this place and the sense of wonder that it imparts. It's set in beautiful Golden Gate Park and is the "only place in the world to house an aquarium, planetarium, and natural history museum, as well as innovative programs in scientific research and education—all under one living roof."

Zazie's | @SahanaU
A local family-owned restaurant with the freshest produce and most delicious brunch menu.
Pro-tip: Dine outside on the patio and order an elder flower mimosa to accompany your brunch entree.

Coit Tower@NicolA
It's just far enough from the conference location to be considered exercise and the stairs to the top will get your heart racing. If you need more incentive, you'll be rewarded with an amazing view of the city, including two bridges.

Land's End | @KellySull
Perhaps one of the cooler hikes in the bay area- opens your eyes to the fact that in 7x7 miles of concrete jungle that is SF, there are always nooks and crannies to escape to (if possible) even more beautiful sights.

Beach Blanket Babylon | @FranciscaF
Miss seeing them at LiNC '15? In the words of Francisca, "It's the best show in SF." Enough said.

What are you looking forward to doing in SF? What recommendations do you have? Share them in the comments below!

Related Blogs

Tags (1)
About the Author
Community Manager at Lithium Technologies, previously known as jchen.
17 Comments
Frequent Commentator

The Gregangelo Museum. If any Lithium customers would like to arrange a group visit, I have a direct relationship and am happy to coordinate a visit. When in "Rome" enjoy only the very best.

Frequent Commentator

The Gregangelo Museum. Not sure of availability this close to LiNC, but I highly recommend this little known gem. Best to use my name, Rachel Medanic if anyone's interested in arranging a small group tour (and it's great to experience St. John's Wood, not a well-known destination in SF).

http://gregangelo.com/entertainment/gregangelo-museum/celebrate/

Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Rent bikes and ride them over the Golden Gate Bridge. Coast down into Sausalito for lunch afterwards (Bar Bocce is great, so is Napa Valley Burger Co) then you can take the ferry back across to SF!.

Honored Contributor
It's a bit of a tourist trap but the first ferry of the morning to Alcatraz is well worth it being the first ferry it's quiet and you get a head start on the masses and some great photos to be taken with no people around.

Year before last I spent 4 hours just wondering around!! This year I'm going to take in the Japanese tea garden 🙂
Honored Contributor

I'm not a local, but always love visiting.

I always enjoy walking in San Francisco so take your walking shoes. Start from the Embarcadero, check out Coit Tower, North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf, go past the maritime park and Fort Mason, then head to the Palace of Fine Arts and the Presidio and the Golden Gate.

Another great afternoon is exploring Haight-Ashbury and Golden Gate Park.  

So sorry I can't get there this year!

Jason 

Retired Community Manager

Thanks for the tips, @JasonHill! We'lll miss you this year at LiNC! 

Lithium Alumni (Retired)

I'm  a huge fan of Lovejoy's Tea Room. Best tea, scones, and finger sandwiches I've had, along with a cute, quaint decor. Across the street, there's also Lovejoy's Attic , which sells a great selection of loose teas and vintage tea cups/hats/other unique trinkets. 

Also, the newly redesigned  Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) just opened and, although I haven't had a chance to visit it myself yet, I've heard only amazing things from friends. It definitely sounds worth the visit!

Khoros Oracle

My favorite cable car to ride is the California street line -- it's the east-west line. Because it doesn't connect downtown to Fisherman's Wharf (the most touristy area of SF), there's no queueing with tourists for 30-60 minutes to get on, and being jammed full of families. Instead, you get a quieter experience among San Franciscan residents. The eastern end of the line is just a few blocks from Lithium HQ and just a few blocks from the Ferry Building and Embarcadero. The western end is less directly interesting but within walking distance of some great food.

If you're interested, there's a more comprehensive description of all the lines on streetcar.org

Also, if you're like me, you might really enjoy the Cable Car Museum. I've gone back a few times and I bring visiting family/friends. Fascinating sights, sounds, and smells.

Valued Contributor

Jason McClellan - A SF Native Perspective  - All locations are close to the Marriott:

LuLu Restaurant - next to Moscone Center
http://www.restaurantlulu.com/
816 Folsom Street, SF CA 94107
415-495-5775
Recommendation: Great wine list, appetizer stone fired pizzas and a Bone-In 30 oz. Angus Ribeye to share with a few friends

MoMos - across from the ball park
http://www.sfmomos.com/
760 Second Street, SF, CA
415-227-8660
Recommendation: Happy hour - including Great oysters, small plates, high end bar food and martinis.

E&O Kitchen and Bar - close to Union Square
http://www.eosanfrancisco.com
314 Sutter Street, SF CA 94108
415-693-0303
Recommendation: Gluten Free Menu - small pates, great rice dishes and an incredible thai basil martini + a ton of great micro brews.

Hops and Hominy - located off of Grant Ave, between Sutter St & Post St
http://www.hopsandhominy.com/
1 Tillman Place, SF CA 94108
415-373-6341
Recommendations: Oysters on the half shell, seafood and down home dishes like fried chicken and burger called Hops & Hominy Burger that rocks. don't forget their kick a#$ beer list and cocktails.

Delancy Street - "Great Cause"
http://www.delanceystreetfoundation.org/enterrestaurant.php
600 The Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA 94107
415-512-5179
Recommendation: Great food, great prices, great cause, great service. We normally go for Sunday Brunch but have been there for dinner many times. The Bourbon Ribeye and the Rack of Lamb is very good at a reasonable price. Also check out the TripAdvisor Review.

Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Great post, thanks for sharing these ideas. Love that we're crowd-sourcing great places for visitors to check out in SF.

One place that visitors get a kick out of is Lombard Street - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lombard_Street_%28San_Francisco%29

It's at the top of Russian Hill, another great area to walk around (helps if you have calves of steel) and take in the breathtaking views of SF as well as the amazing houses and architecture up there.