Public
Honored Contributor

Cover Photo Size - Blog

Good day all,
I am trying to find the best size dimensions for the Cover Photo in a blog, please.
Thank you,
Toby

CoverPhoto.png

Community Manager - Seismic Software
8 Replies 8
Honored Contributor

Actually curious myself what others do. We set an official standard which our content team uses (which I can't remember off the top of my head), but we redesigned our community and thus hardcoded the image resolution into our message feeds to maintain the consistency.  The problem is 'official' content vs. Community created content which is the wild west, and anytime the two mingle together, it can get weird/ugly in our Community as a result.

Honored Contributor

I hear  you @StanGromer 

In this case, the blog is under my control so I'm not worried about clients creating and mis-sizing. I would like to hear from Khoros on what the sizing is. We build pages like these for our clients and supply all the sizing info for banners, post, etc.
I also could not find it in the documentation 😞
Cheers,

Toby

Honored Contributor

Seems like a square image is best, since that's what's recommended by Facebook for shared links (which is the main use of cover images that I know of).

Here is some extra info about cover images that may be useful:

(1) By default, w/ the default blog page / blog post page layout, the cover image doesn't actually show up in Khoros

(2) Cover image is selected by Twitter / Facebook as the featured image when you share the content on those platforms. Here's some documentation I found from Facebook about the best dimensions for images in shared links: 

Use images that are at least 1080 pixels in width for best display on high resolution devices. At the minimum, you should use images that are 600 pixels in width to display image link ads. We recommend using 1:1 images in your ad creatives for better performance with image link ads.

(from https://developers.facebook.com/docs/sharing/best-practices/ )

(3) If you have "masonry" layout turned on for the blog page, the cover image shows up on the masonry "tile". Probably looks best square or a rectangle that is shorter than it is wide (tall images make the tiles super tall!)

(4) There are custom uses for the cover image - maybe such as a pretty display of blog posts on your home page? Other stuff?

Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

Thank @CarolineS it is funny, here is an example of what I am having trouble with and maybe it is the design of the picture.

[Percolate X-Sell Pt 2] Community Post (1).png

When I play with the size, things get cut on the left or my resolution fails.
Cheers,

Toby

Honored Contributor

Where is the image displaying? In a Facebook / Twitter share or somewhere else?

Honored Contributor

Hi Caroline,
Within my Community - maybe we need to use a different format for the picture if Khoros does not have a standard sizing.
Best,
Toby

Honored Contributor

There may be official guidelines! I just don’t know what they are 🙂
Honored Contributor

No worries, I have reached out to my rep for assistance. 

Cheers!

Welcome to the Technology board!

Curious about our platform? Looking to connect on social technology? You've come to the right place!

Are you a Lithium customer? For direct assistance from our Support team, please visit the Support Forum.