Public
Honored Contributor

Feedback on Threading / Inline Replies

Our community has been granted early access to Threading / Inline replies. Yay! I have feedback on it - at least, on how it looks in my community. Not sure how much is skin-specific vs general.

I don't know where to send this feedback so I'm putting it here. Happy to move to a special Early Access group, if one exists, or email to the appropriate person & delete from here if needed. 

One bit of meta-feedback about the Early Access process... I had to go back and forth with support several times to even get this new feature functional. And I have no knowledge of who to give my feedback to or what is expected to be correct vs buggy in this early access version. So, not the best experience as an Early Access user.

But, I digress. Here are my initial impressions of the Threading / Inline reply feature. This is on our staging site, on a responsive community with a pretty lightweight skin.

(1) Lots of spacing oddities even on a very basic thread page (w/ just one reply). See screenshot

CarolineS_1-1582785857481.png

(2) Not sure if this reaction will be generally shared amongst my fellow community managers, but I am surprised and disappointed that the thread continues to indent after 1 level of indent. This feels very old-school. Seems that the new model (Facebook, Slack, WebEx Teams) is to create just one level deep of "sub-thread". Screenshot. 

CarolineS_3-1582786491922.png

(3) Looks bad on mobile; see screenshot for specifics

CarolineS_4-1582786700030.png

All of my complaints notwithstanding, I'm thrilled that Khoros is working on this!

I hope this feedback is useful.

Cheers!

25 Replies 25
Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing your detailed feedback in such a visual way. Good to see many items I had flagged to @SohilM already during the EA being validated as problematic.

The one feedback item I heard that you hadn't brought up was the inactive "Post Reply" button in the inline reply editor. The fact it's styled in a disabled fashion was flagged as being more of a detractor so we actually got rid of it on our community. The primary call to action being the editor box with the "Reply..." prompt inside.

If anyone wants to see both threading and inline replies in action take a look at this topic on our community: https://community.dataiku.com/t5/Setup-Configuration/Going-from-Prototype-to-Production-SSL-amp-HTTP...

If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.
Honored Contributor

Side note - I find it disturbing that Atlas is not yet using threading / inline replies NOR new private messages. How can they expect our communities to upgrade to these features if they can't even do it themselves?

@CarolineS you can blame me for that one. As we expanded Atlas over the past year, findability and navigability quickly became a pressing issue.

Despite adding a lot more content and conversation, we were seeing some related drops in effectiveness within our Value Analytics scores, thus the redesign became our priority, with PMs and Threading our fast follows. We're hoping to deliver PM v3 next week, with Threading/Inline not far behind.

I'm aware how critical it is to have early examples live in Atlas, so it's extremely rare anything else would take priority for us. 

I can share some good news on that front, in that we've been working on a couple of internal initiatives to significantly improve Atlas' role in demonstrating the best of our new capabilities. My expectation is that through the course of the next 3-9 months, you'll see rapid improvements in both examples and inspiration tied to new releases. This is a personal top priority, so feel free to start prodding me when we're not delivering on that promise.

Honored Contributor

That’s great news, @DanCr! Thanks!

OOOOh is threading turned on here in Atlas now? I see the "in response to" notes w/ in content and also the inline replies. Exciting! Interesting that you don't seem to be using indenting though - what was the thought behind that?

I also noticed that the new PM UI seems to be on here in Atlas too. Yay!

Honored Contributor

Testing testing

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Ideas, please vote:

Renew the quote feature

Badges and the actual date when earned

Yes, we got there and you beat me to the punch :).

All credit to @AndyK as always, for the tireless work he does to get these planned and out the door.

Honored Contributor

TBH I came on here to whine about something or other last night and then noticed threading and got distracted from my whine 😄

Ha ha 😁. Let's call that a win for the product!

Valued Contributor

I've noticed a bit of the issue with this new threaded conversation style. While I can edit the title of the topic, this doesn't automatically change the title/subject of any replies. They don't show up in the thread anymore (which is good). However, if someone replies inline to one of the replies that still has the old title, it shows up in a few places:

• Browser tab
  • Email notifications
  • Activity (in the users profile)

This is ultimately very confusing. It was a pain to have to change all of these manually and I was initially very excited to not have to do that anymore, but this may even be worse as it's a super confusing experience for the user. Would love to see this fixed. Is this on anyone's radar already @SohilM @DanCr?

Thanks

Jesse - GoDaddy Community Manager

Welcome to the Technology board!

Curious about our platform? Looking to connect on social technology? You've come to the right place!

Are you a Khoros customer? For direct assistance from our Support team, please visit the Support Forum.