Public
Honored Contributor

Invalid HTML when trying to post

A couple of users have reported this in our community, and I can reproduce it.  I even get it here when trying to post.   After composing a message of just text, users get the error:

"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

Again, these are plain text posts.    What's going on?   Anyone else seeing this?

--
Community manager in the Micro Focus Community. My computer always used to beat me at chess, but it is no match for me now I changed the competition to kick boxing.
5 Replies 5
Trusted Contributor

Hi @kgroneman

We had this issue as well and I when I remember correctly we enabled the HTML permission for regular users and this solved it somehow. I think it was "Use simple HTML in posts and signatures".

"Allow user to use advanced HTML in posts and signatures" is set to deny in our Community.

Hope that helps,

Esther

Community Manager @TeamViewer
Honored Contributor

Thanks.   That was it.   We had a role set up to use "Limited HTML" and all users in that role got the error with every post.   Looking at the HTML of a post with a single word in it, there were <p></p> tags around the word and that was keeping it from posting.  I had to allow that role to use full html to allow those people to post.   

Our default is to not allow any HTML so there appears to be something wrong with the limited HTML setting. ??  I haven't had time to dig into it, but at least I got it working and the role is for employees of our company so I suppose there's not a lot of danger in allowing them to use full HTML, but I'd still prefer they only used limited HTML. 

--
Community manager in the Micro Focus Community. My computer always used to beat me at chess, but it is no match for me now I changed the competition to kick boxing.

Hi! You might consider using "Advanced" html rather than full. I believe advanced gives a more limited set of tags than full. Here's the list for Advanced: https://community.lithium.com/t5/Support-Forum/Simple-vs-Advanced-HTML-for-posts-amp-signatures/m-p/...

Cheers!

Interestingly, that didn't work.  I changed it from FULL to ADVANCED and they problem came back.  Really strange.   I'll dig into it when I have time.  

--

WEIRD!!

Welcome to the Technology board!

Curious about our platform? Looking to connect on social technology? You've come to the right place!

Are you a Lithium customer? For direct assistance from our Support team, please visit the Support Forum.