Public
Occasional Advisor

Using Google Analytics with a Closed Community

Our community is only open to customers and partners, and therefore most of our pages are not visible if a user is not logged in.

Before we implement Google Analytics, we want to make sure it's possible to allow the tool access to pages that require authentication. I'd like to see if anyone else out there has had this need and whether there were any special requirements or considerations.

4 Replies 4
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

@lcgolden Google Analytics will run a script when the page is accessed. I can't see why it won't work on your community. There are two steps (on the community side) you would need to take:

1- add the GA code to the header of your pages

2- upload the Google Analytics tracking code to your asset library, then contact Lithium support to push the file to your community root

You can read this article too which might contain more details.

Kudo Monster

"Me want kudo!", "Me eat kudo!", if you appreciate my efforts please give me a kudo ↓
"Om nom nom nom", accept as solution to help others find it faster.

I love your Kudos signature, very cute.

This is helpful! The information about how to incorporate GA sounds pretty straightforward, but I didn't see anything specifically about whether (and how) we could get it to authenticate. I think you're right that we can assume that it can be added to the scripts, but I'd be interested in seeing how this could be done.

Lithium Alumni (Retired)

@lcgolden

Thanks (for the signature).

And you're correct, there isn't much explanation on the article about the authentication.

All you need is to go to Google Analytics (I think you can do it too from Google webmasters), and get your authentication file.

Then, in your community admin, go to the assets library and update that file. 

Finally, fill up a ticket with Lithium support asking to make sure your file is accessible at the root of your community. Once done, access the file from a web browser.

Note: if you don't know how to upload a file to your asset library, just send the google verification file to the support and I'm sure they will help you out 😉

Kudo Monster

"Me want kudo!", "Me eat kudo!", if you appreciate my efforts please give me a kudo ↓
"Om nom nom nom", accept as solution to help others find it faster.

Nice! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Looks like this process is going to be much easier than I thought it would be.

Welcome to the Technology board!

Curious about our platform? Looking to connect on social technology? You've come to the right place!

Are you a Khoros customer? For direct assistance from our Support team, please visit the Support Forum.