Khoros Atlas Logo

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Display a conglomeration of blog posts in a category

We have various categories with sub-categories under those.   Those sub-categories have blogs.   

What I would like to do is have a "Latest Blog Posts" widget in a category page that shows a conlomeration of recent blog posts only under that category.   Is that something relatively easily doable?   

We do have them-lib.latest-blogs on our home page that does the same thing for the entire community.  Would that do what I want at a category level?

Thanks in advance. 

--
Community manager in the Micro Focus Community. My computer always used to beat me at chess, but it is no match for me now I changed the competition to kick boxing.
0 Kudos
6 Replies 6
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Display a conglomeration of blog posts in a category

@kgroneman - To display the blog posts in a particular category, you need to make a custom component and use the following rest call:

<#assign blogPosts = rest( "2.0", "/search?q=" + "select * from messages where category.id = 'CATEGORY-ID' and conversation.style='blog' and depth= 0 order by post_time DESC"?url).data.items />

<#list blogPosts  as getPost>

${getPost.subject}

</#list>

You just need to add the category id and then add this component to the desired category page.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Payal  I'll give that a try and let you know.  Thanks.

--
Community manager in the Micro Focus Community. My computer always used to beat me at chess, but it is no match for me now I changed the competition to kick boxing.
0 Kudos
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Payal that almost works.   It runs the blog titles all together and there is no cut off as to how many posts it shows.

• How would you get that to display each blog subject on a new line?
  • How would you get that to show only a certain number (such as 5) posts?

Thanks - Kim

--
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I got one per line by putting a paragraph tag in the list:

<p>${getPost.subject}

Still don't know how to truncate it to 5 posts.   Also I need the post titles to be links.   This just lists the titles.

--
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@kgroneman - You can use the following code for limit and links:

<#assign blogPosts = rest( "2.0", "/search?q=" + "select * from messages where category.id = 'CATEGORY-ID' and conversation.style='blog' and depth= 0 order by post_time DESC LIMIT 5"?url).data.items />

<#list blogPosts  as getPost>

<a href="${getPost.view_href}">${getPost.subject}</a>

</#list>

Please let me know if this works.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Payal that's starting to look better, but at the same time I did some testing with adding:

<component id="theme-lib.latest-blogs"/>

to the page and found it is category heirarchy specific and I like the way it displays the blog posts so I'm going with that one.  I really apprecaite your time.  I learned some things. 

--