cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Tracking Point Progression in Ranking Formulas

Hello there,

Our community uses a points-based ranking structure where specific community activities (i.e. posting a discussion) are awarded points, and users need to hit a threshold of points in order to progress a level (i.e. 2400 points = Level 5).

I was wondering if there was any reporting available to track average or individual users' point/level progression over time. I wasn't able to find any metrics for this in Community Analytics or Admin Console Community Metrics.

Is tracking point progression possible out of box, and if not, how do I build custom reporting to track this at scale? Thank you!

4 Replies 4
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hey @jonchen , I misunderstand - Are you currently using Khoros's actual 'bonus points' system, or is that the question in and of itself?

There is a very rudimentary system of 'points' that exists within Khoros -> https://community.khoros.com/t5/Bonus-points/tkb-p/bonuspoints

While there is the mechanism to track points, there is no actual way to do anything beyond that - You would have to develop a solution to assign points based on the actions you decide, and then build components to display them (ie: leaderboards) - Here's some more info: https://community.khoros.com/t5/Khoros-Community-Discussions/Displaying-bonus-points/m-p/491948#M588...

I'm in the middle of scoping out some work specific to bonus points/gamification myself.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Stan, 

We are not using the bonus points system currently, my question is more about the points associated with the current ranking formulas we have put in place. Here's an example of a shortened ranking formula we have for one of our levels:

((((net_threads*100) + (net_replies*50) + (net_blog_articles*30) + ... >= 500))

Based on your response, my assumption is that we would need to build a seperate component to display this? And that there's no way to track this using Khoros' current reporting tools. Thank you!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jonchen Correct, I don't believe there is any out of box methods to display something like that.  Would require levering the API to build something to expose the results on something like a leaderboard.

Tracking it would only be possible outside of Khoros manually as well - Nothing in reporting could provide the results as the formula is doing the calculations - You could pull the data out of Khoros and then manually calculate it in Excel or something like that (I've seen a few Communities doing some manual things like this to track/gamify).

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I see. Unfortunate that there's no out of box reporting for this. Regardless, thanks so much for the insight Stan!