Public

Combine communities & events: Ideal overall digital engagement

Published on ‎09-11-2020 09:21 AM by Khoros Alumni (Retired) Khoros Alumni (Retired) | Updated on ‎01-06-2022 02:59 PM

Learn how communities support conversations and ongoing engagement for digital events. When leveraged correctly, communities fill the gap around informal interactions that physical events are best known for and that digital events often lack. This session will include high-level strategy around how to combine events and community as well as practical advice on how to integrate discussions and groups with different event types.

Live Q+A:

• Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM CT

Moderator:

• Jenny Weigle, Khoros, Senior Community Strategist  

Speakers: 

• Melissa Potvin, Qlik, Director, Qlik Communities

Replay it on demand here

Featured Guests

Start:
Wed, Oct 14, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
End:
Wed, Oct 14, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
bit.ly/3G2BlDZ
Labels (2)
10 Comments
Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Great job on this @melissapotvin , @bryanJ at Splunk and @JennyW ! I really enjoyed the fun conversation. 

Khoros Alumni (Retired)

@JamilaR @AndyK @AshleeE @melissapotvin and @JennyW just wanted to find a way to continue the conversation we had in this session and the Live Q&A so that we can keep learning and sharing ideas about how to evolve Events in Communities going forward.

Big Question: How do you retain the momentum from the live events?

Contributor

I missed this presentation. But thought I'd share something we are trying. As the event comes close to ending, we let attendees know that they can continue the conversation (make comments, ask questions) in a dedicated forum topic we set up. We let them know that the presenter was available for 30 min afterwards to engage with. This helps viewers to 1) get more questions answered 2) feel "VIP" as they get more time with presenter and 3) connect, share ideas with other viewers. 

Khoros Alumni (Retired)

@katiehulan that's really great advice. We'll definitely have to try that in the future.

Side note: if you registered for khoros.com/engage you can still go there and watch the presentations until Friday!  

Also, one of the things Melissa Potvin from Qlik highlighted was the value of having dedicated, recurring events  to help maintain engagement - like "New Topic Tuesday" or "Developer Thursday."  Do you guys do that at Shopify?  I'm wondering if we should have weekly live stream events that are very informal. 

Thanks again!

Contributor

We have done elements of it. I think we could cement this approach more.
Some examples: every Thursday we have a webinar series on our main learning platform (we host on other days, but we always ensure something is on a Thursday for consistency). For "chat" communities, that depends on the community manager - they may host virtual events each Monday, or a "share a win" this week at the end of the week.  

I'm really interested in "habit" forming. I think a schedule does help. 

Thanks @JacobBo - yes, our Techspert Tuesday has really taken off.  We have them every other Tuesday. If you give a 'hot' topic the audience will come.  Choosing a hot topic for us also helps  to deflect support cases on that topic.   A hot topic could be a topic that is trending or a reoccurring problem where support cases for that problem is high.   Also, to keep momentum we place the 'next up' events close on the page (but separated via tabs) to the 'recorded past sessions' as we want members to do both - register for new and watch the prior..  https://community.qlik.com/t5/Talk-to-Experts-Tuesday/bd-p/talk-to-experts-tuesday

Hi @melissapotvin,

Thank you for sharing your strategies. I just visited your community and was wondering, what is the difference between your "On demand" and "Live webinar" events?

Thanks again!

Rubia

Rubia Torres
Graphisoft Community

Hi @rtorres

On-Demand - The on-demand webinar is a form of a pre-recorded webinar that is created with components prior to publishing. An on-demand webinar is when you record a webinar event, and re-use that content, inviting viewers to watch a recorded webinar.

Live webinar - Live webinars are those events conducted in the real-time, with a host/organizer present in the webinar room. A live webinar is when you host a digital web event, inviting numerous attendees to join you in a virtual room to watch and listen to your content.

Thanks for clarifying, @MohammedSh!

Rubia Torres
Graphisoft Community

You're welcome, @rtorres!