Public

Some Goodies Lined Up for the Platform

Lithium Alumni (Retired)

author_manjeera_256x144_color.pngManjeera Patnaikuni is a Product Manager for Lithium Technologies. She is responsible for the End User Facing Features of the platform.

You can follow her on Twitter at @Manjeera 

Hello Lithosphereans! We have quite a few goodies lined up for you in terms of new features. I’d like to take the opportunity to let you in on two of the new feature enhancements coming up in the next couple of releases.

So let’s get started and take a sneak peak into what’s in store.

Unread Discussions

unread1.jpgFor users who visit the community often, we’ve made it really easy to keep track of all the discussions that are yet to be read by the logged in user.

Rather than sifting through all boards finding new content, you can now do it in one place.

It’ll save a lot of time, especially for moderators and super users who want to keep up with the latest activity in the community.

But wait... there's more!

There will also be a way to switch between discussion mode (thread view) and posts mode (message view) so you won’t be inundated with new messages for a discussion flooding the first page.

unread2.jpgThanks to Lithosphere user ‘Potential’ for the great idea and ‘jloyless’, ‘Laura’, ‘alissa’ and ‘Ryan’ for adding more meat to it. Keep the great ideas coming folks!

Autosave Drafts

autosave.jpgPicture this.... You just spent hours crafting your new entry, only to see it disappear due to an accidental page load or just because your computer froze on you? I think we have all suffered from this at some point.

Well, not anymore!

All forum and blog posts will now have an Autosave function so your posts are automatically saved every few seconds. The time limit will be configurable by the community admin) so you don’t have to explicitly click the ‘save as draft’ button for blogs either.

As always, if you have product ideas let us know on the Lithosphere, by logging your suggestion in the Idea Exchange.

Tags (2)
10 Comments
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

For the Unread Discussions feature, is the user able to "subscribe" to the boards for which they wish to see unread discussions, or will it be for all boards?  I know that when I visit a community, there are typically a limited number of boards I'm really interested in, and it would be great to be able to specify which boards I'm interested in.

Occasional Contributor

Does this apply to the Idea category too?  That is the most frustrating to search through for unread comments.  All very exciting!

Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hey jennyb, the unread discussions view can be placed on any node in the community, which means you can place it on an idea exchange and you can see new ideas. When you click the 'View All' link, you can switch to the posts view, which displays all the unread comments for the ideas.

Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hey Kaushal, There is already a "subscribe via RSS" for every board that lets you keep track of the new discussions on a board so you can selectively choose which boards to subscribe to.

Honored Contributor

Manjeerap,

Very cool to see some of these completed ideas being reported on in detail, and so encouraging to see Lithium modeling a great closed loop process around ideas that are harvested out of the community.  

Mark 

Lithium Alumni (Retired)

As an avid multitasker and evernote user, i love auto-save. Not to mention my firefox has been crashing lately at the worst of times.

thanks for adding this.

k

Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Thanks Mark. You will see a lot more enhancements we make in the coming months based on some from the idea exchange and forum posts.

Honored Contributor

So the unread discussions is just a widget that will go on pages that we choose?  Or is it something each user can set up for themselves? Can't wait to see it in action.

I thought we already had a widget like this - latest comments - that you could add to a blog or idea page.  How is this different?

Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hey Laura,

The unread discussions widget is something that a community manager/admin would places on pages that he/she choose and an end user in the community would see these unread messages. The latest comments widget just displays all the latest comments for an idea or a blog but doesn't keep track of what was read/unread by the logged in user. This is going to be a lot more useful than just displaying the recent posts (community wide/node scoped). You could essentially replace the existing latest comments widget on the idea exchange or blog page with this one.

Respected Contributor

This is pretty slick!  thanks for implementing this!

Version history
Last update:
‎05-17-2012 07:41 PM
Updated by: