Khoros Community

Announcing the Lithium Community Language Translator Integration!

Retired Community Manager JennC
Retired Community Manager

Untitled.png

With all that's going on in San Francisco around LiNC, we have one exciting announcement today--we’re pleased to announce the latest addition to our community, the Language Translator Integration! This is an integration the Lithium team has been working on with iTalent and Lingotek for some time now, and the tool essentially allows users to translate existing content from English to other languages.

We’re starting off with a trial on our forums here and have added the following languages enabled for translation:

• French
  • Italian
  • German
  • Spanish

How does it work? When you go to a discussion thread in the community, you’ll see our new toolbar at the top right of the page

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 2.58.22 PM.png

Simply click on the language you want to see the content in, and voila!

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 2.58.40 PM.png

While the translator is multi-source, we’re starting with single-source translation due to the languages our moderation team supports at the time. Therefore, please continue to post in English for now.

Given the sensitive nature of the wording in our Docs, we will not be adding the integration for Docs at this time. However, we will consider expanding the integration and languages involved in the future. If you would like to see a certain language included in the integration, please let us know in the comments below—we’ll be looking to you for feedback on how that language translation works.

Want to learn more? For those of you at LINC '16, our iTalent/Lingotek team will be around LiNC, and iTalent will be presenting at Session I, Track D on June 9th.

Want to get involved? We're looking for volunteers who are familiar with the languages we've integrated, and who would be willing to give us feedback on the translation process. Let us know in the comments below if you'd like to help!

Related Blogs

About the Author
Community Manager at Lithium Technologies, previously known as jchen.
19 Comments
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
Wow! Großartig!

(Now waiting for responsive to see the button on mobile a well 😉)
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
Geweldig! Ik kijk er naar uit!
Awesome! Looking forward to it

Ganz geil, nah? @Claudius!
Honored Contributor

Magnifique!

félicitations à l'équipe.

Honored Contributor
I have no personal need for this in my own community but WOW this is an amazing addition and one I know a number of users ask about a lot.

Kudos !!!
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hm... Now that I have the time to try it out...  It's unfortunately not working for me. I tried with Chrome and Edge browsers and while I do see the language selector box on top right both on the board and topic pages, but whenever I change the language (which doesn't stick btw and reverts to English every time I move to another page) there's only a "refreshing" animation showing with the circling arrows below, but the page content stays English. No "Translation in Progress" text is visible like on your screenshot.

Anyone got it working so far?

Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

Just tried the German translation with Chrome on Mac and for me it also only works partially:

- Just some of the pages are being translated eg:

http://community.lithium.com/t5/Strategy-and-Best-Practices/bd-p/strategyandbestpractice (is getting translated)

http://community.lithium.com/t5/Technology/Users-Can-t-Subscribe-to-Boards/td-p/207005 (is getting translated)

but not: http://community.lithium.com/t5/Strategy-and-Best-Practices/New-community-live-what-do-you-think/td-... (is not getting translated)

- every time I navigate to another page the language switches back to English as already described by Claudius. 

- I always get the notification: "We have detected that your browser default language has been set to "German". Do you want to translate to this language?" which is wired since my standard language in Chrome is definitely English - are you using the locale of the operating system?

I definitely think that this is really useful so I would love to get involved and get some more information. 

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@Claudius - was there any particular area not translating for you or just random posts?

@VanessaM thank you for flagging that thread, I have passed it on to our iTalent/Lingotek to investigate.

The issue where you are having to change the language each time is happening because we have not enabled the full feature at this time. The connector does have methods to make the language persist. As our trial progresses, we will continue to add more features and options to the community.

Retired Community Manager JennC
Retired Community Manager

Hi everyone, we're glad to see the enthusiasm and feedback so far! We will be disabling the integration temporarily as we look into an issue, but will provide an update once it's resolved. Thanks!

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for your patience, the translator has been enabled again.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This is great. 

I look forward to this experiment: having more languages and the full featured translator for posting.