Khoros Community

Announcing the Lithium Community Language Translator Integration!

Retired Community Manager JennC
Retired Community Manager

Untitled.png

With all that's going on in San Francisco around LiNC, we have one exciting announcement today--we’re pleased to announce the latest addition to our community, the Language Translator Integration! This is an integration the Lithium team has been working on with iTalent and Lingotek for some time now, and the tool essentially allows users to translate existing content from English to other languages.

We’re starting off with a trial on our forums here and have added the following languages enabled for translation:

• French
  • Italian
  • German
  • Spanish

How does it work? When you go to a discussion thread in the community, you’ll see our new toolbar at the top right of the page

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 2.58.22 PM.png

Simply click on the language you want to see the content in, and voila!

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 2.58.40 PM.png

While the translator is multi-source, we’re starting with single-source translation due to the languages our moderation team supports at the time. Therefore, please continue to post in English for now.

Given the sensitive nature of the wording in our Docs, we will not be adding the integration for Docs at this time. However, we will consider expanding the integration and languages involved in the future. If you would like to see a certain language included in the integration, please let us know in the comments below—we’ll be looking to you for feedback on how that language translation works.

Want to learn more? For those of you at LINC '16, our iTalent/Lingotek team will be around LiNC, and iTalent will be presenting at Session I, Track D on June 9th.

Want to get involved? We're looking for volunteers who are familiar with the languages we've integrated, and who would be willing to give us feedback on the translation process. Let us know in the comments below if you'd like to help!

Related Blogs

About the Author
Community Manager at Lithium Technologies, previously known as jchen.
19 Comments
Occasional Contributor matthew_d
Occasional Contributor

Great stuff team, can't wait to see the future features of the language translation and its use with responsive as @Claudius noted. Smiley Happy Merci beaucoup!

Occasional Contributor KhodrT
Occasional Contributor

Very interesting feature. Had also time to test it for some translation in German.

My learning:

- Internet Explorer it is not working for me (IE 11.0.9600.17843CO)

- Firefox (47.0) is working but it seems not every word/phrase gets translated. Also the translation to German needs some improvements. What I loved was that the feature recognized that I was using Firefox in German language and I was asked if it should translate the text to this language.

- GoogleChrome (51.0.2704.84) same experience as with Firefox

What I would love is if that feature could be active even when you are not logged into the community.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback @KhodrT

I have escalated the issue with IE to iTalent/Lingotek and will let you know when it is resolved.

As the trial progresses, we will look to expand the capabilities of the translator on the community, including when a user is signed out.

With regards to the words not translating, we are looking into having editors review posts and fix translations. The connector includes machine learning, so once these corrections are made, it will translate these going forward.

Cheers,

Andy

Advisor
Advisor

A few questions about this:

• Is there a roadmap for additional languages?
  • What is the cost associated for enabling this on our community?

Lithium Alumni (Retired) Lithium Alumni (Retired)
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for inquiring about The Lithium Language Translation Connector @EmDunn.  This service is developed and sold by our partner, iTalent. Please reach out to Fred Walters fred@italentcorp.com directly to discuss pricing and roadmap in more detail.

Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

Hey guys - let me know if it's just me, but I no longer see this option live on the Lithium Community. Was the translation function removed with your recent UI updates?

CC @AndyK

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @roisinkirby

I am on a train at the moment so can't check properly but from glancing at my phone I see it on this thread.  Can you share an example please and I will ask one of my support colleagues to take a look. 

Cheers, 

Andy

Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor
It seems to translate only the already posted content. Is there a possibility to allow users to write their comment in their own language and translate it before posting?
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @fcaeleniTalent Digital's language connector for Khoros allows users to post comments in their own language. Then, other users reading their comment will be able to see it and respond to it in their own preferred language, in near-real time. So, while the translation is not done before it is posted, the comment is made available in all of the supported languages simultaneously, in near-real time. Feel free to contact us at khoros@italentdigital.com for more information about how it can be customized to your use case.