Khoros Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

How to enable threaded comments?

From my understanding, we should be able to enable threaded comments on forum discussions, right? Currently, all comments to any post are all left aligned. I'd like to show replies to each comment as threaded (or indented). Is that possible? If so, can someone give me some guidance? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies 21
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: How to enable threaded comments?

@calebmt,

To enable threaded post, You can find these settings under  Community Admin > Discussion style Tab > Posts & Topics > Topics to Display Tab >: Linear Format: Sorting order within topics

See Screenshot attached:

threaded.PNG

and Make them intended for each post you need to add custom CSS and some customization to add intended class.

Do you know we work with Kudos and Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the information, @Parshant. I've already done what you've outlined, but we would want it threaded for each post. Would you, by chance, know how to implement the custom CSS? 

We have this same exact issue. I can't believe threading isn't an out of the box functionality.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I know, right? I've been surprised (and a bit disappointed) by that. 

Threading is literally a deal-breaker for us. We have to figure something out. ARGH!

Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Nava_Schneider @calebmt - I know it is heartbreaking that this is not the OOTB feature - however, Lithium has been working on a lot of such updates since the JiveX acquisition, so these should be pretty much covered down the line. In the meantime, this is absolutely achievable via some customization and it works really well. We have implemented a lot of these for our customers. Here is a screenshot for one example - 

Nested.png

I hope this helps.

Varun | Weaving magic with Lithium!

Recent Ideas: Advanced Private Messages | Rewarding Module | Badges for Threads
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

This is great! Any chance you’d share that code? :-D. Also curious how it works for replies-to-replies (and beyond!).

----
Caroline Sekar | Community Manager @ Cisco Meraki | @merakicaroline
Highlighted
Khoros Guru
Khoros Guru

I've shared the engineering approach here (Caveat: There is no code sample to copy though): 
https://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/Developer-Discussion/How-can-I-design-comments-differently-from-a...

From a styling perspective replies to replies indeed is the challenge as there's only so much indentation you can add. Most communities I've seen therefor rely on just adding a left hand margin to replies in general.

Here's two examples:

https://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-VR/Vr-and-next-gen/m-p/25755644

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Plastic-bottles/m-p/652450#M152605

Learn how to master Khoros. Visit the Best Practice Center

If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.

@VarunGrazitti wrote:

@Nava_Schneider @calebmt - I know it is heartbreaking that this is not the OOTB feature - however, Lithium has been working on a lot of such updates since the JiveX acquisition, so these should be pretty much covered down the line. In the meantime, this is absolutely achievable via some customization and it works really well. We have implemented a lot of these for our customers. Here is a screenshot for one example - 

I hope this helps.

@VarunGrazitti this is exactly what we're looking for! @LarryI, check it out!