Khoros Community

jhall
New Commentator

What does Google Analytics specifically track?

Does anyone know what events GA is able to track when used with Lithium?

Are there any users who are using GA for specific purposes or can someone tell us what the basic tracking GA records?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies 3
Lithium Alumni (Retired) Lithium Alumni (Retired)
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Re: What does Google Analytics specifically track?

I found a pretty good listing of what Google Analytics are able to track out of the box, here: http://www.google.com/analytics/features.html

In my experience, web analytics tools (Google Analytics, Omniture, Coremetrics) can be highly customized (depending on one'slevel of expertise) to report on any number of data related to your user's activity while on your site.

Could you speak at a high-level about what you hope to achieve using Google Analytics on your community?

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" © JakeR

0 Kudos
apaprocki
New Commentator

Wondering if there’s more info on this, specifically relating to Lithium.  For example, are we able to track number of posts, “kudos”, replies, etc through use of their custom event tracking?  Or are we simply limited to the baseline reporting (page views, visits, etc)?

My understanding is the Omniture integration allows for such custom event tracking, so I'm wondering if this is also possible with Google Analytics?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Khoros Oracle
Khoros Oracle

apaprocki wrote:

For example, are we able to track number of posts, “kudos”, replies, etc through use of their custom event tracking?  Or are we simply limited to the baseline reporting (page views, visits, etc)?

My understanding is the Omniture integration allows for such custom event tracking, so I'm wondering if this is also possible with Google Analytics?

Great question.

Google Analytics cannot track number of posts, "kudos", replies, etc.  Those are internal (Lithium) database related metrics.  Unless the analytics tool had some kind of screen-scraping technology, you're presently out of luck in harvesting that Lithium information...unless you use the Omniture / Lithium integration (like you mentioned).

My understanding is that Google Analytics (and many other web analytics tools) can "follow you around", but cant collect the deeper specifics of what you did on that page (unless what you did caused a new page to load). 

In theory, if Google Analytics could track and acknowledge that the Lithium editor page arose, and that the "success message" post-confirmation page occurred after that, then it could logically deduce that you posted a message.  However, I dont think the Google Analytics tool can go that deep right now.  So this is kind of a pipe-dream scenario that I just shared. 

Perhaps a Lithium / GA integration would be helpful, but as of today, the only web analytics tool that offers Lithium metrics to compliment the 3rd party tool's own insights is Omniture (specifically, the Genesys integration). 

TKB | Board | LSW | Docs | Training | Release Notes

0 Kudos