Khoros Atlas Logo

Science of Social Blog

Lithium Alumni (Retired) Lithium Alumni (Retired)
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Math on Chalk Board3 350px.pngWith the new infrastructure (A1—A3), as well as the improved algorithms (B1—B4), there is no doubt that the final CHI score will also change. There are literally hundreds of intermediary calculations (possibly more) between a single user’s action within the community and the final CHI score. Any changes in any one of those intermediary steps could change the final CHI score.

Read more...

Read more
Labels (2)
7 0 4,186
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Adaptive Chameleon2.pngIn my last post, we discussed some of the infrastructural and algorithmic changes behind the new Community Health Index (CHI) shipped at the end of October. But that was just the beginning. Today, let’s talk about some of the forthcoming features we’ve planned with the new CHI score. Please note that these features are not yet available, but they will be soon.

Read more...

Read more
Labels (2)
7 0 6,576
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

gold greek small letter chi 350px.pngFirst, an apology for going radio silence for a month. Sorry. But I’m back.

It’s been a crazy October for me. Most of October seems like a blur, because it’s been a mixture of sleep deprivation and 80+ hour work weeks. Besides all the traveling for speaking events during day times and the lost luggage on the way (which I’m happy to share with you later if you are interested), I’ve been working with our data platform team to implement the new community health index at night (CHI, denote by the Greek letter chi).

Read more...

Read more
Labels (2)
18 12 13.4K
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Last week I attended my 5th LiNC—Lithium’s annual customer conference. It was another overwhelming and over stimulating experience.

Since it is Friday and it’s late, I’m going to post something simple and fun today. As there are already many nice recaps of the conference (see below), I will just poste a few data points in the form of a picture (or infographics) to give you a sense of the types of conversation and interaction that took place on twitter during LiNC14.

LiNC14 tweeters v2T.png

Don’t see yourself? Click on the image above to download a hi-res version.

Read more...

Read more
Labels (1)
  • Analytic Science

11 4 4,969
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

twitter_SocGraph_LithCast_Wakita_resize.png

As a teaser, I’d like to share a quick analysis of the Twitter conversation that occurred around the “The Science of Social” webcast that Paul and I gave about 3 weeks ago.

Read more...

Read more
Labels (1)
  • Analytic Science

5 8 11.6K
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

690i2C7D609C9E904982The engagement center (EC) provides a number of analytics dashboards that surface important analytics about your community as well as the conversations that is happen beyond the community. One of the new pieces of functionality that is provided in the EC is the hot topics (or hot threads) widget. This widget tells you which topic of conversation is hot in the community; moreover, it assigns a hotness score to each topic, allowing you to rank them.

The question that I often get is “What makes a topic hot and what is the hotness score?” Perhaps, you would say it is something that is new, popular and heavily in demand. These are all correct! In fact the hotness score is based on two components, which I will refer to as popularity and recentness. So a topic that is either recent or popular alone is insufficient to be hot. It must score high in both popularity and recentness in order to be a hot topic.

Read more...

Read more
Labels (1)
  • Analytic Science

14 15 56.1K
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

WOM_by_Mario_Vellandi_small2.jpgI wanted to give you a quick update about next week's webcast: Customer Community - Why It's the Holy Grail of Word of Mouth Marketing.

I will be presenting on this webcast with Prof. Barak Libai (MIT Sloan School of Management and the Leon Recanati School of BusinessTel Aviv University) and Sanjay Dholakia (Chief Marketing Officer at Lithium Technologies). The topic that we will be covering is, from the title, obviously centered around WOM marketing.

Read more...

Read more
Labels (1)
  • Analytic Science

0 0 2,081
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

1411905457_9136c7cc0a_b.jpgAs I've alluded in previous blog posts, the value of WOM is not particularly tangible. Estimating the ROI on WOM is nontrivial and it is still a research topic for academics.

In a network of hundreds of thousands of customers, the value of WOM really comes down to how we estimate a customer's lifetime value with the effect of WOM and without it. Let's consider the Lithosphere community as an example.

Read more...

Read more
Labels (1)
  • Analytic Science

2 2 7,536
About Science of Social Blog
Dr. Michael Wu, Khoros' former Chief Scientist, drills into the gamification, superusers, the value of big data and more.