Khoros Atlas Logo

Advisor
Advisor

Custom Trigger Emails

Hi Everyone,

I've started to send a private message to every new member on our community who has added a photo to their profile to help encourage them to start posting and get involved.

I've been looking at the automatic emails people receive at different stages of being a member and think that they could encourage more interaction than they do. For example, when you sign up you get an email confirming that has happened, but nothing actually signposts you to what you should do next.

I've been looking at creating a user journey template where after being a member for say 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months... you get an automatic email 'unlocking' parts of the site for being a member for so long.. or we at least highlight a different feature in each nudge email about what else they could be doing on the platform.

So two questions:

1. Do any of you edit your community emails for different stages to really push people back on to the site?

2. Is there a way to add new trigger emails once someone has been a member for a certain amount of time? (I can't seem to find how to do this in the email editor)

Thanks! Smiley Happy

4 Replies 4
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Custom Trigger Emails

Great work @amycatling. This is exactly what I want to do, too. Unfortunately the platform can't offer this functionality at the moment and is an area that needs attention. 

You don't want to overwhelm brand new users with too much information in their first "welcome" email upon signing up to the community. But we all know that community members don't tend to read the help section or getting started posts on the welcome board. 

I think it would be ideal to be able to trigger emails or PMs after certain activities and/or an amount of time following registration.

Examples might include:

- Now that you've been a member for x weeks, we'd like to share some secrets about the community so you can get the most from it...

Automatic emails or PMs triggered with call to actions based on their community journey to date - eg after their 1st post, 5th post, 10th login.

- Automatic emails or PMs to ping users who have been absent from the community for a specified amount of time with links to valuable content and/or easy calls to action to try to lure them back.

Can you please add your vote and comments to this enhancement request: https://community.lithium.com/t5/Product-Ideas/Automatic-emails-or-PMs-following-registration-to-gui...

Jason 

Generic1.jpg

Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Great advice from Jason as usual.

I don't know if you are aware of the different notifications you can send based on the different ranks achieved. Ranks are usually tied to some user achievement such as posts, kudos, accepted solutions, views etc...you have the possibility to beautify the notification design and have them send out different messages and tie it to the rank.

https://community.lithium.com/t5/Rankings/Send-different-rank-up-notifications-for-different-ranks/t...

Cheers
Wendy
Learning from others and helping where I can!
Community Passionista!
Occasional Contributor danlopez
Occasional Contributor

Hi:

I´ve just voted this idea on https://community.lithium.com/t5/Product-Ideas/Custom-Email-Templates/idi-p/177975 and https://community.lithium.com/t5/Product-Ideas/Build-a-Message-Manager/idi-p/186374 

Other funcionality could be create automatic mails the will be sent to a users with badgets. For example, if an user publish a doubt on "forum about routers" Lithium will send an "advice mail" to all the users with de badget "Expert on routers"

Thanks!!!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I've found that sending email welcomes instead of private message welcomes is much more effective - new users are not that likely to view their private messages, at least in my community. I do send private message "Congrats!" messages when users get to a certain rank in the community (manually, based on an email alert I set up in the admin console) - since they're more engaged users, they are more likely to read the private message.

Our community has SSO turned on, so community members don't get a welcome email by default (except the very dry email sent by the corporate registration system). To get around this, twice a week I export a list of all community members who registered since the last time I sent this email (via the Admin user report) and upload to Marketo. These emails get a 50% open rate! Open rate improved when I changed the sender from "The Meraki Community" to "CarolineS from Meraki" The clickthrough rate isn't super amazing (5% overall, 10% of those who open the email), but I'm sure it could be improved with some tightening of the language / clarifying a single call to action.

Screenshot of the email below.  

Cheers!

- Caroline

welcome-email.png

----
Caroline Sekar | Community Manager @ Cisco Meraki | @merakicaroline