Khoros Atlas Logo

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Guest blog post process and best practices

Hi Lithosphere,

I was hoping to get some guidance from you on the art of the.... ~*guest blog post*~ 🙂

In the past when I've managed communities on non-Lithium platforms, I would work with the member or customer via email and they would send me a blog post, which after proofing, I would then post on the company blog on their behalf.

Now that I'm managing a community on the Lithium platform and many members have such robusts community profiles, I would, of course, like them to post their guest post to our blog through their own account so that it can be attributed back to their profile!  After looking at the logistics of how a guest blog post would work on Lithium, though, I do have some reservations and questions, which is why I wanted your thoughts on it.

The main thing that I'm hung up on is the approval process.  Ideally, what I would like is for the member to:

1. Write the post
  2. Submit it to us for approval
  3. We publish it after we approve it

Right now as it is, looking at the blog permissions in the admin section, I see that members can either post new articles, or they can't, but there's nothing about a moderation/approval process.  I definitely like that we can control whether or not they can manage their own blog post after the fact, though.

The team and I brainstormed a few ideas, like posting it on their behalf through our own account, approving their posts via email and giving them the permission for a short period of time, then removing it after posting...

blogpermissions.png

What are your experiences and thoughts?

Thanks! 🙂

Tags (3)
13 Replies 13
Highlighted
Lithium Alumni (Retired) Lithium Alumni (Retired)
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Re: Guest blog post process and best practices

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the current Blog product. While the author can save an article as a draft without publishing it, and even see the eventual URL, only they can review and edit the draft and then choose to publish it. Others do not have access. I can only suggest that they write it in Word, send it for editing and approval, and then copy/paste the result as a new blog article. I would also recommend voting for this idea , which deals directly with this issue.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I was afraid that that was the case.  Thank you for confirming and for linking me to that idea.  I definitely upvoted and commented on it!

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Hi @debbie 🙂

We have many guest bloggers on our community, which we pay to blog for us on Beauty topics. We do this in two ways, in the main blog we create a profile for them and post the content ourselves:

http://www.avonbeautyconnects.co.uk/t5/Avon-Beauty-Blog/Hi-I-m-MyPaleSkin/ba-p/114287

But in our Beauty Talk board, once we have agreed the copy and signed off, we allow the Guest blogger to create a profile (Then set them the Expert badge) this is great as we don't need to manage the content and they also tend to reply to any questions and be more engaged. 

http://www.avonbeautyconnects.co.uk/t5/Beauty-Talk/Anyone-tried-Magic-Effects-Liquid-Sequin-nail-pol...

As the Blogger functionally is harder to manage we tend to manage that ourselves. Hope that helps!

Rene 🙂 

Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

A potential workaround is to create a private board for your guest bloggers. Once their post is ready, you can move it to the blog and the post appears in their name. You'd just have to add a teaser if necessary, and remember the post will be listed in the blog by the date the topic was created, not the date it was moved.

I think granting temporary permission works just fine, except for the issue of not being able to see their drafts. See another idea here: Ability to view All draft Blogs

----------------------------------

Lili McDonald
Sr. Digital Business Manager - Community
@ National Instruments
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@ReneAvon, that's awesome that you've made guest bloggers as part of your blog strategy and cool to hear about the two different methods that you use.  Also, your blog is beautiful and makes me want to buy all sorts of beauty products now!!!

@lilim, my team and I ran over several scenarios/workarounds and that one hadn't crossed our minds.  Very cool.  I will bring that up to the team.

Thanks so much for sharing your insights, ladies.  It's been most helpful! 🙂

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

We've done this with a combination of the email to review and temporary access.

But we do the posting for them, @debbie.

We make sure they know it's going to happen (and that editing will occur) and once approved we grant them the blog post permissions, switch to their user account, make the post, and then disable the posting permissions again.

Using two browser windows it's pretty fast to execute and gives us the right combination of "posting under their own account" and maintaining the right levels of access we want.

We have considered a private blog that lets people post and we just move them out as we approve them.

Community Care Manager
Vodafone Australia
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks so much, @Tim_h!  That's the route that I feel the most comfortable taking actually.  I was hoping to find some hidden guest blogging feature here, but that work-around sounds like my best bet.  My team also liked the private boards idea.  We shall see! 🙂

Lithium Alumni (Retired) Lithium Alumni (Retired)
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

@debbie I have learned there is a workaround process that will get you further. It isn't perfect, but it is definitely an option. First, you have to have the Publication Scheduling feature enabled - Admin, Discussion Styles, Blogs, eighth item down in the list. That allows any blog author to schedule an article to be automatically published at a future date that they specify.  Once it is saved with a scheduled date and time, if you go back into the article, in the column on the right, the author should see a box titled Final Draft Link. This will show them what the link for this article will be when it is eventually published, or at least that was the original purpose of this feature. As long as the Title is not changed, that link will be valid when the article is published. That, for instance, allows you to send, or at least prepare an email including the link, without having to wait for the actual publication date to get the URL.

But it turns out that once sent that link by the Author, the Admin, or anyone with the "Manage any Article" permission, which would include anyone in the Blog Moderator role, will be able to follow that link and get to the draft. Once there, they can edit the draft as they like and save it. They cannot publish, although they could update the scheduling date or even cancel the Schedule Date. But if they don't, the original author can View their draft, see the edit, and click Post, to publish immediately or make further edits. The current Schedule Date will be valid unless changed or cancelled.

So again, not perfect. The author could publish and the Community Manager cannot do so with the Post button. But it does allow the Community Manager to view the draft and make edits, and potentially to change the scheduled publication date and time.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@RobbL Thank you so much for sharing another workaround!  Can't wait till it's baked into the product, but one of these should work for now... 🙂