Khoros Community

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Guidelines for customer base required to launch a new-language community?

Hello all!

There have been some rumblings at my company about starting a Chinese-language community for our customers in mainland China. Which has a lot of factors to consider, I know... hosting, interface translation, content translation, community management, moderation, cultural norms (and a bunch of stuff I'm not thinking of 🙂)...

But the question I'm interested in at the moment is... do we actually have enough of a user base in China to even consider this? Does anyone have guidance on a minimum user base that's needed to create an active community, especially in a non-English language? Our product is B2B and our audience is IT administrators / networking professionals (and partners who sell to those folks).

Cheers!

- Caroline

----
Caroline Sekar | Community Manager @ Cisco Meraki | @merakicaroline
0 Kudos
3 Replies 3
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Guidelines for customer base required to launch a new-language community?

Hi @CarolineS 

You could start with a very lean approach: 

1. What is your customer base in China? What is your hypothesis on how many of these members will use/subscribe to your community? 

2. Do you already have visitors on your community or website from China? What is the percentage. Take this as a baseline. 

3.  Before you ever launch: Why not starting with an experiment and just create a landing page where you pitch the idea of a community and ask your (potential) customers to subscribe if they wan't to know more. You can set yourself a goal of e.g. 5-10% subscribers. If you not achieve this number you may have to sharpen your value proposition.  

4. If you have enough users that subscribed you can start to launch a separate forum for Chinese instead of launch a full version of everything. 

hope that helps

P.s. some more tips on launching another language you can find here: https😕/medium.com/glowingblue/15-tips-that-help-you-to-internationalize-your-community-be5e0d609510

Best 

Jan 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thank you, @MrB77 ! I particularly like the idea of making a sign-up page to gauge interest - just like in "the Lean Startup," eh?  

----
Caroline Sekar | Community Manager @ Cisco Meraki | @merakicaroline
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@CarolineS yes,  my favorite 😉