Khoros Atlas Logo

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Idea Exchange Best Practices

What is the best practices for Idea Exchange?

Do you set the requirement of having the idea gather a certain number of kudos before it will be escalated for consideration? If yes, what is the recommended number? What is the treatment for those ideas that have not gather enough kudos?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies 5
Highlighted
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Idea Exchange Best Practices

Hey,

I'm no expert with ideas an still working on rolling it out in my community "currently in a closed group". I'm sure some of the other guys will share their BP's however if i was to share two of my thoughts on the matter it would go something like this.

Get buyin

Your need to know what you want to achieve from your ideas exchange for example is it ideas about making the community better, making your products better or both. Once you know, make sure you have the support, backing and power to enable change, you need to be able to implement at least one of the ideas on a regular basis otherwise the community will lose interest in the scheme. 

Show progress

As ideas are suggested, invite comments from other users to help gage if it's a "winner" and use the idea status to show that a given idea is under review, being worked on or other. Again this will help show progress in the community and get the users more engaged especially when their ideas are put into place. 

Hope this helps 🙂 

Stephen

Checkout some of the stuff i've built using the platform:

Community l Ideation l Blog l Product Hubs l Check & Report l Service Status 

My latest Ideas: Vanity URL Manager l @mention Roles l  LSW Password Policy

Tags (1)
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you @Fellsteruk

Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

your very welcome !!

Stephen

Checkout some of the stuff i've built using the platform:

Community l Ideation l Blog l Product Hubs l Check & Report l Service Status 

My latest Ideas: Vanity URL Manager l @mention Roles l  LSW Password Policy

0 Kudos
Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

Hi @KaiBoon!

Not sure if this is helpful, as I'm rather new to this whole space myself.

In answering your question, I'd suggest looking at it less from a numbers perspective, but look at percentages of users as a guide for which ideas need promoting? People are able to share their ideas and it could be worthwhile to encourage getting them to campaign for their colleagues to sign up so they can vote to support them. Critical mass may be a best practice but it might not suit your ideas community.

Ideas that don't gather enough should be responded to as compassionately as any suggestion I should think. There's a post on Spotify's Ideas Community for example about access for the visually impaired and it's not rocketing up there, but it has plenty of merit. So ideas that don't gather kudos, still look at them for what they are and contact the person who felt so passionate as to post it. Maybe post a poll to create buzz around the ideas. Or encourage people to comment on less-kudoed ideas to understand why.

Hope this is helpful 

0 Kudos
Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

Hi @KaiBoon!

Not sure if I can be too helpful as I'm new in this space myself.

As far as critical mass goes, although it's best practice, it may not be the best approach for your community as it evolves. Rather than a numbers game, perhaps a percentage of users is a way to let people know what gets an idea through the channels that bit quicker. One thing I've noticed is that posts with a lot of kudos also have a lot of caveats. Or comments by other users about the idea that have more kudos than the idea itself. 

In terms of how to approach ideas that haven't been as popular, I'd think these require as much engagement as ones with tonnes of kudos. Just because an idea isn't getting a lot of attention doesn't mean it doesn't have merit. In fact often the ideas overlooked are more valuable because they are based in lateral thinking. Perhaps create a poll or write a blog related to ideas that have slipped the net could help engage discussion?

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos