Khoros Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Measuring community activity based on internal and external participation

We are trying to figure out how much community activity had been driven by our employees compared to our external community members for the last 12 months. I tried to pull how many posts were created by internal employees vs. external members by filtering them by ranks but I couldn’t find the right metric either in the Admin Metrics or LSI.

For example, User Reports show who created more than one post for the last 12 months but they don't show how many posts were created by those users. 

Advanced Metrics show how many posts were created for the last 12 months but they don't show who created those posts. 

Is there anyone who measures the community activity based on internal and external user participation separately? If so, what metrics do you use?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies 9
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Measuring community activity based on internal and external participation

Hi Nari. We seperate regular users from employees by adding roles and then we run a report to make the distinction between users. We user the user reports in admin to measure activity and can see by role, how many posts the users created. If we select the date range for the last 12 months you will see the total post for that period. Or are you looking to see the total post for the last 12 months broken down by months?

Cheers
Wendy
Learning from others and helping where I can!
Community Passionista!
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, @Wendy_S

Thanks for the comment. I am able to see metrics within a specific data range by using the “Activity Date Range”. Before, I just used filters like Registration Date and Most recent Signin without changing the activity date range so the metrics showed all-time results instead of the results within the date range.

0 Kudos
Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

I am currently working on doing the same for our community. What I am currently doing, is pulling a CSV for our members in LSI weekly. The conversations initiated seems to show the measurement of the post that are created. The description for this one in LSI is showing as "The number of Forum topics or Group topics created by this member for the entire Community App or a particular board." . Plus you should also have the replies authored that measures all public replies. Once I have all of the data, I am more than likely going to add the conversations initiated + Replies authored to better measure the productivity and as Wendy said, I will be filtering this by role.
I hope this helps, this is so far what I been thinking of doing and hopefully it works out.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi all,

We've solved this one with an Alteryx workflow. We simply pull a user report with no filters applied, insert it into a drag/drop workflow that we built, and have the results output into a PDF report.

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 9.04.25 AM (3).pngAn Alteryx workflow that takes a User Report .CSV and outputs the data into a .PDF report in a matter of seconds.

Much of the logic in the workflow above is hidden in tool containers, but essentially it is a collection of tools that filter, sort, and cleanse the data so that we can do something useful with it. We then take the clean data and use our reporting tools to build the PDF. Here's an example of what it looks like:

2016-06-14 at 9.06 AM.pngAn example PDF report with splits and drill downs by types of users.

As you can see, we have the results broken down by internal and external (defined by roles a la Wendy's post). The report goes on to give us Top Posters, Top Starred Authors, Top Solution Authors, and other measures by both audiences.

You could do all of this in Excel, but who wants to do all of the manual work each time when you can put it into a repeatable workflow and get your insights a few seconds later?

In the near future, we'll be using the Bulk Data API to store all of our community data in a cloud-based database and surface these insights in Tableau/PowerBI dashboards. Pretty cool stuff.

Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

That is pretty cool indeed, it gives me a few ideas for what I was working on.
0 Kudos

while interesting... I suspect this reply does not help the masses if you don't have Alteryx.  I still could use assistance in figuring this out using LSI and only LSI. 

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@melissapotvin  in LSI, you have to go under Content, then Forums. Directly under "Forums Overview" there's a toggle for members. Click that, and then right underneath, add a filter for the role you want to filter by. You can look at just employees by adding "equals" and then the role name. To exclude employees, use "not equals" and then add the filter when you're done by hitting the "+" button. Don't forget to add your date range. Configure the columns you want in the report and then you can export into a CSV (look for a tiny gear on the far right of the list of users).

I hope this helps you get closer to what you're looking for in LSI.

Becky Scott
Community Engagement Manager
Cloudera
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Yay! I’m glad that helped. And cool that you saw our ad. Name recognition!

Becky Scott
Community Engagement Manager
Cloudera
0 Kudos

thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for @lolagoetz  

PS.  I just saw an advertisement for cloudera in the airport yesterday Smiley Happy