Khoros Community

Occasional Contributor RogersDarrell
Occasional Contributor

Opening an Off-Topic or Lounge Board

Jump to solution

Has anyone opened an Off-Topic or Lounge type board in the past? If so, how did you prepare, what research did you complete and how was the execution?

After the launch; how was the board received and did it require excessive moderation?

12 Replies 12
Lithium Alumni (Retired) Lithium Alumni (Retired)
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Re: Opening an Off-Topic or Lounge Board

Jump to solution
A few best practices to pass along:

1. Set Clear Guidelines - create a set of supplementary guidelines that govern participation in the off-topic area. Common additions that may not appear in your overall community guidelines are things like avoiding political and religious discussion.

2. De-emphasize Off-Topic Areas - many communities that have off-topic boards choose to place them at the very bottom of the structure and only display to registered users. Doing so ensures that the off-topic content does not become the focus of the community (doesn't show up in a Google search, etc) while still allowing users to bond and stick around longer.

3. Skip Message Metrics - enable this feature to ensure that users aren't gaining reputation and rewards for off-topic content. The messaging is along the lines of "we're happy to provide this area for you to kick back, relax, and get to know your fellow members, but can't reward you for posting cat pictures (but seriously, they are adorable!)"

Hope that helps!
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Jump to solution

Definitely follow the tips that was mentioned from BrianO. Lots of emphasis on the guidelines portion! Depending on your audience - off-topic lounges can be a good or a bad thing. My company's audiance can be deemed closer to B2B, so our traffic is much more focused on our products and topics related to those products. We initially created a "general" board since we had some floater topics that were quality, but lacked a place and we just didn't know what else to do with them. Even though we do not put an emphasis on the general board at all - we still have people who use it as a catch all. As an example - I will have to move multiple topics out of the general and into a product board. 

Some errors that we made:

• We did not make that official guidelines for the specific board - we haven't had any issues thus far outside of our default guidelines. It is just bad practice to continue doing though.
  • We created it without planning. We could have created better alternatives that would have accomplished the same task and would have been more appropriate for our community.

Hope that helps!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Great tips from @BrianO and @cs1991 . We did an off topic board in our community, setting clear guidelines and we started the first post, asking customers what their go-to music at work was. It's a great opportunity for them to post and engage with one another, but thankfully doesn't distract from the other boards. 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Jump to solution
How do you all encourage off-topic discussions?
0 Kudos
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

All great advice so far!!!

Personally I place a lot of value in off topic where i know others often dont see the value as it doesn't directly link to or add value to the overall objectives of their community however it can make or break you depending on what your brand is or you sell. 

My current community is an ISP, lets face it as an industry we are not cool, sexy or have any exciting gadgets to discuss and so its harder to drive product advocay in comparison with someone like Apple or TomTom as people "love" their iphone or their Yoda Guided TomTom but they dont always feel the same about a utility. Having a community which is solely dedicated to your own products is going to limit the stickiness of the community and slow growth as there isn't any or enough common discussion points to build and maintain strong ties between users and grow the community and as we do this we build advocates and superusers thats said it does take time I have users on my community who are not customers but still participate, share and help.  

I have 9 product boards and 7 off topic boards all of our off topic boards where created by, curated by and moderated by the community and some of these are bigger than the product boards. For me having areas for customers to build relationships around common topics on my community is value adding as it helps build a sense of community "just because you call it one, doesn't mean it is" But it also opens up an added avenue of revenue generation in that you have built segments of engaged users around specific topics which you could leverage to generate content or targeted ads. 

Stephen

My latest Ideas: Vanity URL Manager l @mention Roles l  LSW Password Policy

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Jump to solution

Can off topic discussions help to make the community more vibrant?

0 Kudos
Occasional Commentator Stijn
Occasional Commentator

Jump to solution

Really nice input @Fellsteruk, I agree on what you are saying here. We are planning on integrating an Off topic board on our community. I see this off topic board as important as the other boards, so users will return on a more regular base.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Jump to solution

I believe the off-topic place may increase interested, but this type of area may not be needed for all communities.

For professional communities that engage in high level problem solving and business discussions, are usually made up of people who are not intested in these casual spaces.

Some like to ask a question, discuss solutions, and move on.

Just my $.02

Best,

Toby

Community Manager - Seismic Software
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution

I definitely love the ideas going on around here! However, how do I enable a board to be viewed only by members, and only members can post a topic? I never had a board that is private for registered members only, except for us manually giving permissions. Is there a way that we can set so non-members cannot view the off-topic board, but able to do so automatically after they're registered without having to assign any permission and role?

Thanks!

0 Kudos