Khoros Community

Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Rank Icons

Jump to solution

Does anyone have any insight on how many rank icons you should create to start out with at launch? Or if a rank icon should pertain to more than one rank? 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies 7
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Rank Icons

Jump to solution

@Karlee92

It really depends on how you want your community to look and feel, but as some general advice, I would encourage you to be cautious. Icons next to usernames are very prominent and consideration should be made to only using them for very special members of the community, such as your moderators, community manager and superusers. If they are overused they will obviously lose their impact. 

Jason

Generic1.jpg

Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution

Good to know! Thank you Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Khoros Staff MegH
Khoros Staff

Jump to solution

@Karlee92 great question and I totally agree with @JasonHill's wise advice. That being said, there are some communities who have opted to display a rank icon for each rank, the top icons obviously being the most prestigious. Here's an example from HP Inc's Support Forum: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Miscellaneous-Topics-Read-Only/HP-Support-Forum-Ranking-Overview/m-p/6#...

Some brand names and rank naming conventions align more naturally to iconography than others. For example, I worked with a community team who chose a fun fish theme for their ranks (ex. minnow -> king mackerel -> whale shark). Each rank name had a icon of that fish. Their community is private, otherwise I'd link you to it Smiley Wink

Since you'll need to create the icons, consider the LOE for your team. Naturally, the more ranks you add, the higher LOE.

Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution

Awesome! Thank you so much for the additional info-- It's super helpful! 

Khoros Staff MegH
Khoros Staff

Jump to solution
Anytime! Ping me if you need any more help Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution

Is there a way to display rank name instead of icon for each role?

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution
I am not sure what you are wanting to do here, can you elaborate?

Out of the box rank names and icons, if you assign one, should be visible.
0 Kudos