We are looking to expand the metrics we track. At the moment we are focused on number of topics posted and replies, as well as total members.
I would be interested in seeing if I can get metrics specific to the closed groups with displaying a word cloud of their top used words or the top group users over all.
Any additional suggestions on which metrics to look at overall and how to collect them would be very helpful.
This is for a community not social.
One metric we're starting to look at is "engaged members," which we've defined as users who have a total of 2 or more "engagements" in a month. Engagement = posted or gave kudos. I'd be worried (and take action!) if that number started to go down (much more so than if the number of registrations in a month went down).
I can get this metric via LSI > Content > Members tab > sort by Visits > export to CSV > excel manipulation to figure out who has had two or more "engagements."
We'll see if this turns out to be too much of a pain :-)
Lots of scope to expand your metrics.
- You look at total members, but that's a number that is always going to increase. Better to concentrate on weekly/monthly registrations to make sure that is growing.
- Are you interested in average time on site/average session duration. Can be an indicator of engagement.
- Most sites report on unique visitors and pageviews. Many user's are lurkers and this helps capture their activity.
- User reports can also help you see the number of users who logged in during the week/month, and the number of users who posted during the week/month. Can tell a different story to other metrics.
- Registration conversion rate can be very interesting. Divide the number of registrations you received in a week/month by the number of new visitors to the site in that week/month.
- What content is most popular with your community? Top 10 posts by page views/kudos. Most shared posts, etc.
Hope that helps.