Khoros Community

Advisor
Advisor

find posts to escalate after 24 hours

Hi all - I've recently come back to administering a Lithium community after an absence of a few years, so I'm excited about many of the changes and functionality now available. But I'll admit to getting lost a few times in the new layout. I was hoping others could provide some assistance, as we are adjusting our moderation procedures and were looking for some help on how to execute them.

Specifically, we have launched a process to escalate threads with no reply to our support team, but we want to do so only in those cases where the issue can be answered on the community. 

So rather than enable the automatic escalation setting in the admin, we turned on manual escalation so our moderation team can apply their judgement before generating the ticket.

The challenge is that we want to wait 24 hours after a post before we review for escalation. But for the life of me, I don't seem to find a way to query in the Moderation console or the Advanced search for posts without a reply that are 24 hours old or older. Lots of options to view by the last day, week, month, what have you, but nothing that lets us see things at least 24 hours old.

Does anyone else have this use case? How have you addressed it? Is there maybe a way to manipulate the search URL query string parameters to get this list?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

20 Replies 20
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: find posts to escalate after 24 hours

@sdodds

I would have thought the automatic escalation functionality is exactly what you are looking for. You can set the timeframe to 24 hours (1440 minutes) and to the email address of your choosing. 

Alternatively, you could build a custom page that only features unanswered posts. Many communities do this, particularly for their super users and support teams. 

Jason

Generic1.jpg

Advisor
Advisor

Thanks @JasonHill - I'm using the escalations settings to generate the support case, and there is no way to send manual escalations and automatic escalations to two different email addresses. Besides, the desire is to allow the support folks to remain in their case management system, and the moderators on the community rather than switch over to email.

The custom page approach sounds interesting. I haven't played around with freemarker and custom queries there - do you know how I would populate that page with only topics with 0 replies that are at least 24 hours old (or better yet, an example)?

Honored Contributor

Here's a simple unanswered posts page @sdodds - http://community.myob.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/UnansweredPosts

I wouldn't bother adding the extra layer of only showing posts over 24 hours as the timestamp will be so obvious and you would be able to use it for other purposes (eg sharing with superusers).

Jason

Generic1.jpg

Advisor
Advisor

Thanks again @JasonHill - unfortunately the 24 hour delay is important to us because we are trying to attract additional superusers.

We've had a habit in the past of responding too quickly, which has not given our community time to respond on its own. We want the delay to allow for community responses, but we want the escalation to ensure our community gets a response.

The page you showed is great, but I'm not sure I could use that to replicate the query on my end - are you able to share the freemarker code/widget you are using? Or is it using one of the existing components I could modify?

0 Kudos
Lithium Alumni (Retired) Lithium Alumni (Retired)
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

@sdodds, some Lithium customers make use of our Lithium Response product to achieve this goal. After a connection between Response and Community has been configured, the settings in Community Admin allow you to set per board delays at any level in the community hierarchy. For most boards, companies set a 24 hour delay to give their community members time to respond. On some boards, such as urgent support boards, you might want the content to come into Response immediately. If you don't set an explicit delay, posts are delayed by 24 hours, and if an “expert” has interacted with the thread, 72 hours. You specify which roles in your community constitute an “expert.” You can also give certain community members permission to override the delay and escalate a thread to Response. You can turn on Event Subscriptions so that posts in Response will be updated automatically when they are deleted, moved or marked as an accepted solution.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."
Honored Contributor

Hi

Is your issue that everything is eventually "escalated"? You can configure in a manual escalation only model this will only escalate the manual stuff and then anything not answered after X or Y.

This means you get anything with no reply after X mins and the stuff manually escaled givin you focus on what u need.

Also with regards to manual vs auto, I have an open idea for a marker or flag to be added to all escalations so you can see what is manual and what is auto, with response this would give you a load of extra routing options.

Stephen

My latest Ideas: Vanity URL Manager l @mention Roles l  LSW Password Policy

0 Kudos
Advisor
Advisor

I wonder if maybe I've been describing this incorrectly as an escalation problem, when I think it is really a problem with providing filtered views for the moderation team.

To describe this in more detail, we currently have the manual escalation feature configured using an email address that directly creates a case in a special queue for our Support team.

• We've trained this team on how to respond in the community effectively.
  • And our moderation team is trained to evaluate different kinds of requests that can be escalated and answered in the community vs those that we should handle differently (e.g. community or product feedback, requests requiring support off the community, etc.).
  • In then end, only maybe 10-20% of posts need to be escalated and handled in this fashion.

The challenge I have is that our policy has created two separate review flows for our moderation team:

1. review every post (to welcome, guide, thank, and/or for adherence to the terms).
  2. review all threads that have not been answered in 24 hours or more.

Sadly, the moderation console and advanced search do not allow me to filter for posts without a reply that are 24 hours old or older to cover the second review process. Our moderation team must manually navigate a couple of pages forward in the moderation console to see the posts that are 24 hours old (or 72 hours on Mondays) and then review each message one at a time to see if any require escalation. It is this 2nd process that I am looking to simplify.

I could, as recommended by some on this thread, instead turn on auto-escalation and replace the email address to our support queue with an email alias monitored by our moderation team. Then our moderators will get an email when threads without a reply are 24 hours old or older, which they can review and take appropriate action on. Here are my challenges with that approach:

• It only works for threads without replies, and we also want to review replies with no response after 24 hours (especially if we actively welcoming and thanking posters). Ideally we need to know which posts have no reply after 24 hours. My apologies, I realize I have been unclear about this in my prior posts on this thread.
  • The auto-escalate mechanism doesn't handle weekends well, and our community and moderation team has increased response times over the weekend - so there will be a number of auto-escalations that will fill up the inboxes on Mondays that will need to be sifted through and ignored.
  • It takes the moderation team out of the community and into their email to manage this second workflow. This not only reduces efficiency, it complicates our ability to add volunteer moderators to this process.
  • It makes the escalation process to the Support queue much more manual (via email) or cumbersome (via separate web form).
  • It makes it more difficult to measure the work performed on the second workflow.

I'm intrigued by @JasonHill's suggestion of creating a separate page for this purpose, but I'm again stuck on how I could generate the query to display all posts without a reply that are over 24 hours old.

Also interested in seeing how Response could address this. I'm not sure a per board delay really addresses the issue - these posts could come in any board, really. And I wonder it the thread vs post limitation is still a part of this. From my perspective, this is less of a problem with escalation, and more of a problem with filtering views for moderation. @RobbL is this something Response can be configured for? Or ultimately is this a potential new Product Idea?

Also, if you think the problem is with our process, let me know. I'm happy to discuss alternatives. I may very well be making this more complicated than it has to be. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Sorry @sdodds,

I didn't pick up that you were also wanting to keep track of all posts (not just new threads) that hadn't received a reply.

I would certainly be investigating what Response can do for you.

At my previous community we attacked this by adding all posts that required a response to a spreadsheet, along with the time that they were posted. The support team would then systematically work off this live Google doc from oldest to newest post. This was a foolproof way of being 100 per cent accurate that every single post on the community that required a response ended up getting one. However, this is obviously an extremely labour intensive process and is not recommended unless you have no other option - automated process are going to save you time and money in the long term!

Jason

Generic1.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor

We currently use a custom page that displays all unanswered topics and their last time since response. You could also use this to only list unanswered topics.

I checked LiQL and the API browser, but there is no way, currently, to use one query to find any message that has 0 replies. The API currently only seems to support reply count for topics, in one query.

If you want to find replies (non-topics) that have no further replies, you'd have to query a certain amount of messages and for each message found run an additional query to check its replies.

E.g.

SELECT * FROM messages WHERE <insert code for " age > x and replies = 0">

LIST those results and then do something like SELECT count(*) FROM messages WHERE parent.id = '<message id>'

Then do a simple <#if replies == 0 etc..

CM at Spotify
Community Ergo Sum