Public
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Contributor

Easy / light / partly registration?

Hi,

I can't remember who it was but someone said that there is possibility to lower the treshold to join to discussions?

I got feedback that to join the discussions we should lower the threshold. And it is hard task to do because to be able join the discussions you have to be a member first. But I think someone said that they have builded some solution for this - someone comes to the community and to the thread and press "Reply" --> platform creates automatically some kind of "light account" and with that it is easy to reply discussion. I think he said also that this "light" member can complete his/hers profile/registration later on?

Is this possible and if so how to do it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Ideas, please vote:

Syndications | Comments list | Missing-features 

Renew the quote feature

4 Replies 4
Honored Contributor

@ClaudiusH is it you?

My Ideas, please vote:

Renew the quote feature

Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Hi @TeroRe,

Yes, at my previous role as a CM for the Skype Community we indeed enabled "Partially completed profiles" (Sometimes also referred to as "deferred profile completion"). It's a functionality that makes most sense for SSO enabled communities as it will allow the community platform to transparently create a profile in the background as soon as a visitor with an SSO token arrives on the community page. (NB: In times of GDPR you need to ensure that the Terms of service your customers agree to when creating an account allows for the automatic community account creation). Any page views, searches will already be registered against this community profile from this stage onwards which enables personalization of the community experience.

Now what makes this profile a "partially completed" one is that it's still lacking a profile name. This is required though to register a kudo click, posting a reply, sending a PM, basically any community interaction that goes beyond passive consumption. As soon as a member with such a partial profile attempts that action they are required to pick a community name in order to continue.

So this solution will take out a bit of the complexity of registration (e.g. filling in email and checking a ToS box), but still a name needs to be selected by the member. I would advise against automatic community name population as you will then quickly end up with meaningless usernames that work in contra to your goal of creating a personal community.

Khoros Best Practice until August 2019. Onwards posting as Claudius.
Learn how to master Khoros. Learn Best Practice in the Community Documentation
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.
Honored Contributor

Thanks @ClaudiusH, I remembered right it was you and your Skype community.

Just make sure:

1) Visitor comes to the community

2) "Community platform creates a profile in the background" --> what does this actually mean?

3) If this visitor want to press like or reply etc. we guide him/her to choose nickname --> but nothing more?

Or did you mean that when the profile is created in the background we choose random nickname for the user a the same time? And we guide the user to fill the profile later on --> to add email address and other info if needed?

How/when the user gets login credentials?

Sorry about my stupid questions 🙂

My Ideas, please vote:

Renew the quote feature

Khoros Alumni (Retired)

As mentioned this approach works only in an Single-Sign-On (SSO) setup. That means you have an account management system outside of community that the user authenticates against. So email and login credentials would be captured there. This usually happens when the customer signs up with you. In return this also means that only your already SSO enabled audience would be able to benefit from the partially completed profiles experience. So as a starting point you might want to investigate first how big your already SSO enabled community audience is to gauge if it's worth investing in this flow.

@TeroRe wrote:

2) "Community platform creates a profile in the background" --> what does this actually mean?

A user id will be reserved that doesn't have a username yet, e.g. a page like https://community.acme.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/43791 will get created. This user profile is already gathering community metrics against it (page views, searches etc.)

@TeroRe wrote:

3) If this visitor want to press like or reply etc. we guide him/her to choose nickname --> but nothing more?

It depends on which profile fields are required for your profile. The minimal set of fields usually is:

• Username
  • Email (-> already captured during SSO account creation)
  • Password (-> already captured during SSO account creation)

Sometimes additional fields are required:

• Birthdate / Age (-> often captured during SSO account creation)
  • Constent to Terms of service or similar (-> often captured during SSO account creation)

So in an SSO ideal setup the community profile completion step consists indeed simply of picking the community name. So it depends on your profile requirements setup.

Khoros Best Practice until August 2019. Onwards posting as Claudius.
Learn how to master Khoros. Learn Best Practice in the Community Documentation
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.

Welcome to the Technology board!

Curious about our platform? Looking to connect on social technology? You've come to the right place!

Are you a Khoros customer? For direct assistance from our Support team, please visit the Support Forum.