Khoros Atlas Logo

The One Direction Hiatus: Who Survives a Solo Career based on Social Media?

Lithium Alumni (Retired) Lithium Alumni (Retired)
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Here at Lithium we were heartbroken to hear the news that 1D was going on a “break.” How is this possible? And what will we do for an entire year without the gang together? We’re only half kidding, but in all seriousness, we took a double take and thought what would happen if they each pursued solo careers and who would “make it” based on social media influence?

We used Klout data – which processes more than 15 billion pieces of social data every day – to see which 1D member’s solo career would be hot and which would not.

Each 1D member has a Klout Score of over 80, which means they are in the top 1% of all social media users scored, though none of these guys are even close to Queen Bey with a Klout Score of 95.

Harry netted out to have the most social influence and engagement with fans on social media. Who’s surprised? He’s active on all the networks –Twitter, Facebook Instagram, Vevo, etc… – and posts personal content for his fans. For example, after every show, he thanks all his fans from that particular city on social. Who wouldn’t follow him? 

Harry.jpg

Niall came in at a close second with only .06 points away from Harry. He retweets, responds and @mentions his fans very often – not only about 1D news, but about pop culture and his interests (like Ronda Rousey). His social game is on point. He actually posted a reaction to the initial breakup rumor: “Ok so Lots of rumors going round. We are not splitting up, but we will be taking a well earned break at some point next year.”

Then follows Louis Tomlinson and Liam Payne with both having a Klout Score of 83. Louis should be considered the “visual” tweeter – he posts the most pictures and emojis of the group! Liam is the “deepest.” Check out the Buzzfeed article The 21 Deepest Liam Payne Tweets Of 2014.

Lastly, we had to include Zayn. He recently left the band and has the lowest chance of a solo career according to his social media record. Plus, as we all know, he’s had lots of recent activity (fights included) on Twitter. We hope Zayn’s social influence turns around.

In the meantime, we wish for a quick hiatus and will put #DragMeDown on repeat.

What’s your favorite ID song or Twitter moment?

1d2.JPG

2 Comments
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

This is interesting, if only because i would have expected their Klout to be much higher however i guessed harry would be top of the shop... 🙂

OMG... I sound like a 1D fan 

Khoros Guru
Khoros Guru

Whatever their scores are and who will survive, because of this single article, my daugther now fully gets what i'm doing !! So many thanks @FranciscaF !!!