cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcast recap: 5 key gamification strategies for better customer engagement

Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 4.21.52 PM.png

Gamification is hard. A lot of gamification efforts fail due to poor program design. That's why it's been an up and down journey for gamification - it hasn't always lived up to its promise, whether due to cynicism or displacement by other technologies.

While it now seems to be just another tool for digital marketers and table stakes for most mobile apps, it continues to provide substantial, long-term, value for communities that get it right. And getting it right means asking the right questions, which is exactly what James Butler, of Vodafone and Lithium's Xavier Jimenez (@XavierJ) did during our recent Gamification webcast. They also delivered some great answers; like how in a matter of months Vodofone was able to use gamification to nurture two super-users, who quickly provided more value to the community than the cost of the gamification module itself.

So, what are the 5 strategies for sustaining engagement? You can find out by viewing the webcast on-demand below and you can download a PDF version of slides too. See what I did there? I used motivation and reward to drive behavior. BOOM!

(view in My Videos)

If you have any questions for James, Xavier or your community peers, please ask them here and join the conversation. I'll get us started with a question that was asked, but not answered on the webcast: What specific metrics should brands track to better understand their gamification efforts?

3 Comments
Honored Contributor

Many thanks for sharing. This was a good webinar. 

I was particularly interested in the Welcome to the Community badge that James has developed. I think that's very smart to recognise users who are "well-rounded" and have had buy in on all key community functionality. 

James, could you share the specific criteria/how you implemented this custom badge? 

Also, since rolling out have you noticed there are any users getting "stuck" in any one element before achieving this particular badge? Eg doing everything except filling in their profile...

Thanks again,

Jason

Occasional Commentator

Hi @JasonHill,

We worked with Lithium PS team to develop new rules/criteria.

Firstly we had to define the Profile Badge criteria. This was developed based on content being added to the required fields on the form. This resulted in the below:

setting.profile.name_first != 'default' AND

setting.profile.biography != 'default' AND

custom.profile.account_type != "Default" AND

custom.profile.handset != "Default" AND

custom.profile.postcode != "Default"

Once we had this set up we applied the rules for all 5 badges into the WTTC Badge:

setting.profile.name_first != 'default' AND

setting.profile.biography != 'default' AND

custom.profile.account_type != "Default" AND

custom.profile.handset != "Default" AND

custom.profile.postcode != "Default" AND

metric.net_kudos_weight_given >= 1 AND

metric.net_kudos_weight_received >= 1 AND

metric.net_overall_replies >= 1 AND

metric.net_overall_threads >= 1

You're absolutley correct that we've noticed that the profile badge is the badge that users get 'stuck' on, and to an extent this was by design as we wanted this badge to represent a users investment in becoming a member. Its actually the most important badge when it comes to identifying potential super users and I woud strongle suggest that everyone should impliment one. 

We are currently looking at creating a 'Profile Complete' widget that will be a visible reminder that new users have not yet completed membership. This should raise the awareness of the profile badge and get some people unstuck.

Hope this helps. let me know if you have any more questions

J

Honored Contributor

Fantastic @butlerj7, many thanks for sharing. Great work. 

This is very timely for me as we're just about to launch our community. We're going to assess how our gamification strategy is working after our soft launch period and I'll certainly be considering doing something like what you have implemented with this Welcome to the Community badge. 

I really like the idea of recognising and rewarding those that have demonstrated a total commitment to community participation.

That profile widget sounds interesting, too. I'll be watching with interest.

Thanks again,

Jason