Public
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All blogs, all the time

Lithium Alumni (Retired)

This blog is a bit of a departure for me. I normally write admin and user guides. The language tends to the dry and impersonal -- simple declarative sentences, active voice, well-structured tasks, that sort of thing. I might toss in the occasional adverb, but adjectives? No way! Pretty much exactly the opposite of what you except to find in a blog. 

I've been playing with the new Lithium blogs for several months now, and boy do I love it. One of features I like best is the ability to save a draft as I'm working. I've listened to blogger friends complain bitterly about losing hours of work to the quirks of their blogging software. Polished articles down the drain just as they were pressing Send. I'm barely two paragraphs into this article and I've already saved my draft twice.  Make that four times.

So what are some of the new features you can look forward to in blogs? Here's a quick list (yes, they're culled from the release notes, but it's not plagiarism because I wrote the release notes):

• Comment moderation. Communities can elect to have moderators review and approve comments before they are posted to blog pages. Additional options allow comments from trusted community members to be posted immediately, bypassing the approval process. We expect that communities will use this as a perk for their VIPs, granting the permission via a role.
  • Anonymous comments. Although you’d never permit it in a forum, allowing comments from anonymous guests is the norm in blogging. Optional safeguards include comment moderation and a word challenge puzzle (called a CAPTCHA) that visitors must solve before they submit comments. In addition, guests must provide a name (displayed) and email address (not displayed) before they can submit a comment. The CAPTCHA is designed to foil those omnipresent comment-bots that scatter link-vertizing all over unprotected blogs.
  • Sidebar widgets. Customizable sidebar widgets display information about the blog as well as data from the rest of the community. Using the new widgets list, you can choose the widgets to display and drag and drop them in the right-hand sidebar on each blog page. Each blog can have its own custom widget configuration. You choose and arrange the widgets by dragging them into position from a list of available widgets. 
  • Social bookmarking capabilities. Users can bookmark blog articles using any of the most popular social bookmarking sites, including Delicious, Digg, Facebook, Twitter, Technorati, MySpace, Reddit, Newsvine, StumbleUpon, Slashdot, and many others. All told, Lithium blogs provide links to almost three dozen social bookmarking sites.
  • WYSIWYG article and comment editors. Blogs now utilize the same robust editor as messages and replies, giving bloggers both an easy to use and powerful article authoring environment. Key editor features include WYSIWYG formatting, a spelling checker, easy embedding of images and links, and previewing capabilities. Authors can switch between WYSIWYG and HTML editing. Having used a non-WYSIWYG editor, I can attest to the improvements on this score.  
  • Labels for articles. Similar to tags, labels allow blog authors to categorize their articles with searchable keywords. Users can not only click on labels to see related articles, but they can also search across the community for common terms used in both tags and labels. We debated for quite a while about calling them categories rather than labels. Both terms are used in the blogosphere, and in the end we opted for labels to avoid any confusion with the categories we use as part of the community architecture. 
  • New Community Metrics. New blog-specific metrics allow you to gauge the impact that blogs are having on your community. Among other things, you can tell how many comments come from anonymous users vs. community members as well as how many of each group are being approved.

And perhaps best of all, I can easily edit this article when I find the inevitable typo. Sweet!

Tags (2)
About the Author
SusanM, formerly Lithium's wordsmith in residence, was responsible for product documentation, user interface text, and inline and online user assistance. She's now available to work the same magic for other companies.