Khoros Atlas Logo

San Francisco: Tales from the First Stop of the Get Real World Tour

Lithium Alumni (Retired) Lithium Alumni (Retired)
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Katy KeimKaty Keim is the Chief Marketing Officer at Lithium Technologies. She is a frequent contributor in the Social CRM Matters blog.

On the Lithosphere she is KatyK. Or you can find her on Twitter @katykeim or at her blog, BookSnob

Here’s a shout out to my traveling companion from the Get Real World Tour, Sean O’ Driscoll (@seanodmvp) from Ant’s Eye View. If I hadn't been hosting this event, I would have been tweeting my heart out. Sean seems to have mastered the 140- character quip. Plus, he’s a real crowd pleaser.

Here’s one of my favorites. Sean said: “If the business objective of your social strategy isn’t at least 20 years old, it isn’t a good one”. Okay, I paraphrase shamelessly.  But you get it.

So tweets, likes, fans, followers, mentions…all these don’t qualify.

I am not trying to say that these things are unimportant. They matter. But they aren’t sufficient. We all need to be measuring outcomes, not activities. Marketers often like to point at all they are doing, not what they are ultimately accomplishing.

To be fair, that’s because it is often incredibly hard to measure.

When Sean talks about business objectives, I think he is saying the same thing: moving your business forward is about driving to outcomes.

And that shows up like:

• Growing your top line
  • Improving your spend per customer
  • Reducing attrition
  • Improving overall customer satisfaction and repeat purchase

Yes, all those things were all likely candidates for business objectives twenty years ago.

Please don’t get me wrong. This is not a criticism of social engagement and what it can do for you at an awareness level. But as we all get more sophisticated, we need to push further to answering the questions about what this ultimately does for the business.

I saw WOMMA cite a great case study today about Cumberland Farms and a campaign that they did with the Chill Zone.  It had all the nice buzz and creative elements, but then the punchline:

1. The Free-Chill-Zone-Day Challenge was an overwhelming success surpassing 70,000 fans.

2. 80,000 Chill Zones were sold - half of which were attributed to the Facebook password given to fans.

3. 50% of sales were attributed to the fan page and word of mouth.

There you go Sean.

Because growing sales is totally way more than 20 years ago.

2 Comments
Lithium Alumni (Retired) Lithium Alumni (Retired)
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

This reminds me of Michael Pollan's rule: "Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food."

Means in business change a lot, but ends are remarkably constant over time.

Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Great point Katy.

Alot of marketers today are focused on how many fans they have on facebook, or followers on twitter. I think these are great short term tangible metrics that can 1) give organizations some testing ground with social media 2) give a taste of hyperbolic impact on their business 3) low effort and low cost way to convince their organizations and bosses internally that their is a huge potential for growth here.

As social media evangelists and thoughts leaders, it is upon us to keep spreading the word and paint the big picture for brands and marketers alike. 

Great start to the tour.

People have changed, and businesses will have to change the way they do business as well.