Khoros Atlas Logo

Thoughts from an (Li) Intern: Alex Small

Lithium Alumni (Retired) Lithium Alumni (Retired)
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Ready to start making those New Year's resolutions? Whether it's to lose 5 pounds or to land an awesome internship, here's a little something for inspiration: it's another intern spotlight!

In this blog series, we're getting you up close and personal to the interns who changed the face of Lithium one summer not too long ago...

Meet Alex Small.

Internship Position: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)

College / University: University of California, Santa Cruz

Major: Business Administration

How did you find out about Lithium and what made you interested to join?
My dad. He works for Lithium and told me it was a great company. He referred me to join and here I am!

What was your first impression of Lithium  when you started your internship?
Not what I expected. In a good way, though! I’d never worked in an office before, so I guess I was expecting something different – you know, cubicles and unfriendly people. Lithium people were much nicer and much smarter than I expected. It’s also a more open and inviting.

What did you work on during your internship?
My primary project was called Saas Metrics model, which looked at key operational metrics for the company as a whole. Then I worked on presenting the results of that to the executive staff. It wasn’t too difficult, but it was really great to get me familiar with the tools used in FP&A, the company at a high level, and how we compare against companies in our industry. It was like – Lithium, Excel, finance, presentations – all at an accessible level.

What would you say is the best part of being a Lithium intern?
The experience. There’s a lot of really good parts, but the things you learn and the experience gained will be invaluable to your future career. Other positives include actually getting paid and working with really cool people.

Who has been the most influential person during your internship?
I had a mentor who was a really cool guy. He taught me a lot and gave me my first introduction to Finance. He helped temper my expectations of FP&A. We’d have a good time hanging out, grabbing a beer, or playing ping pong, too.

You're a lucky one to be coming on full-time after your internship. Congrats! What are you looking forward to in your career with Lithium?

Continuing to learn more about finance and tackling things I haven’t dealt with before. I’m really looking to see how I evolve and expand my reach in the company.

Any advice for future interns of Lithium?

Go for it! An internship at Lithium is an incredible learning opportunity, it looks good on your resume, and is well worth your time. Also, once you’re here, take the time to get to know your coworkers. Socialize on a work level, but also make friends to get the most out of your experience. Lithium Rocks!

Thanks for reading! Tune in next month for another rendition of Thoughts from an (Li) Intern.

And in case you missed it earlier, check out the interns we've heard from so far:

1 Comment
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Congrats Alex!