Public
Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Job seeker tips

Listen, I’m not an expert in job searching so I'm going to guide you to some experts. Indeed helps people find jobs all day, every day, even on weekends and holidays. They have written a great Essential Job Search Guide on how to get yourself set up for success.

Even though I am not an expert, I have found a few jobs in my time. Here's what has worked for me:

• Tailor your resume to the job you want. What does this mean? Refine! You don’t need to list everything you have ever done in a job. Recruiters often look at your resume for 8 seconds. Practice looking at your resume for only 8 seconds. What will people learn about you in that time? Make sure it’s the right stuff.
  • Network. Connect and have virtual coffee with your peers, former managers, people who work at the company you’d be interested in working for. Set up time that’s convenient for them. Make it as easy as possible for them to meet with you. And then send them a thank you note after you meet. 
  • Be bold! I have had coffee with lots of people who have reached out to me through a loose network and I appreciate the boldness. It shows me the people are willing to work for what they want. 

What has worked for you? Please share your best practices.

3 Replies 3
Executive

+1 on the Tailor your resume

But go further and make sure you tailor it to the actual job description. 

It's very obvious when someone has, or hasn't, tried to match their resume to the job description. So many people create a resume once and then spam it out to lots of companies. It's very obvious. 

Remember, most initial screenings of a resume are done by HR, who may not know the role as well as the hiring manager. If your resume doesn't tick enough boxes in the job description then you're out, and the hiring manager will never know you applied. 

As a hiring manager I've often had to pick from a poor bunch of applications. So that little bit of effort will likely get you to the next stage in the process. I.e. an interview. And if you get there, you've got a great chance of getting the role. 

And I agree. Less is more. 2 sides of A4 MAXIMUM. And not densely written. It should be as scannable as a well structured web page. Don't put all the detail in there. 

Good luck!

Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Agreed @JMcJohnston! Make sure you're matching the language of the job description. Those adjustments will make it easier for the recruiter to find those keywords and easier for you to stand out. 

I know there's debate about cover letters but I like to read why people are applying to a job as well as why they think they're a good fit for a role. 

Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Agreed to all those points @heatherc & @JMcJohnston !

As a former recruiter, it was shocking to me that people didn't take the time to proof read their resumes... let alone cater it to the actual job description. Wanted to expand upon some of your bullet points from the perspective of a former recruiter:

• Tailor your resume to the specific job you're applying for. As @JMcJohnston mentioned, often times it is HR who is taking a first pass at identifying whether a candidate "checks the boxes." Often times, companies are using an Applicant Tracking Software (ATS) that actually automatically weeds out resumes that don't match a certain percentage of "key words" within the job description. It might seem daunting to have to update every single resume you submit, but it doesn't have to be. A quick way to do so is to have your resume up next to the job description, select the most seemingly important bullet points and finagle into your experience. And no need to lie here! But it's much easier to draw connections to that job when you can mimic the verbiage that hiring team has put out.
  • Network virtually - especially with recruiters! A referral into the company you're interested in is the best way to get into the hiring process. If that's not an option, don't be afraid to connect with the recruiter of that company on LinkedIn. It is their job to identify candidates for current positions as well as future pipeline. And please please please write a custom note when connecting with that recruiter on Linkedin. Below are some examples of what has caught my eye in the past:
    • SPECIFIC ROLE: "Hey XXXXX, hoping to connect! I saw that [COMPANY NAME] was hiring for a [POSITION] and I wanted to reach out regarding my application. I believe I'd excel in that role because [LIST VERY SUCCINCT REASON]. I'm sure plenty of qualified candidates have applied, but would you mind letting me know your thoughts on my candidacy? Happy to chat live if that's easier. Thanks."
    • GENERAL INTEREST IN FUTUREOPENINGS: "Hey XXXXX, hoping to connect! I'm a big fan of what [COMPANY NAME] is doing in the [INDUSTRY/SPACE] and I'd love to connect in the event that any future roles open up matching my skillset. I [HAVE/AM] [SUCCINCT SUMMARY OF SKILLSET/EXPERTISE] and would love to get the chance to work with you. Happy to chat live for 5 min if that's easier. Thanks." 
    • ***Bonus points will probably be won if you make some allusion/personal connection to something on that recruiter's LinkedIn profile (could be a shared interest in what they're following, alma matter, a line from their bio, etc).
  • Be bold! Yes, amen to that @HeatherS . At this time, when you might not be able to meet with people one on one, also consider attending virtual job fairs or digital happy hours (might take a little research on the company's LinkedIn page to find some).

If your job has been affected by COVID-19 and you need help sprucing up your resume or want any interview coaching, feel free to private message me 😁Good luck in your search!