Public
Occasional Advisor

Change browser support text?

Where do I change <div class="lia-browser-support-alert">?

1. Where can I change this? 

2. I need to change it to only show up if the browser is older than required. How?

3. I need it to only show for some time. It disappears after some time. 

Thank you in advance.

/Thor

6 Replies 6
Khoros Alumni (Retired)

1. You can find a bunch of related text strings when searching for "browser" in the studio's text editor. The strings browser-support.alert.text and page.browser_unsupported.message look like relevant
  2. The message should be triggered by unsupported browsers listed in Khoros' Supported browser information - Do you need it to show with different configurations?
  3. What's motivating you to get this message to disappear? Visitors on unsupported browsers won't be able to use all your community functionality, so you would really want them to use a supported browser. Do you mind sharing which outdated browsers you see still being used in your userbase?

Khoros Best Practice until August 2019. Onwards posting as Claudius.
Learn how to master Khoros. Learn Best Practice in the Community Documentation
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.

Hi @ClaudiusH 

Thank you for clarifying where I can find it.

When the alert was set up in dawn of times. It was set up to say that you have to use Internet Explorer 10 or newer, but it does not make sense to show this message if you are visiting on an Internet Explorer 11 browser :) 

Also if the message is shown for a time period like 1-2 min, we have to presume that the message has been seen and that the user is not changing browser by choice. So I would like it to disappear, so it is not to inconvenience for the user.  

Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for providing this context. Makes more sense now.

Using my Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 I visited the Visma community and clicked through a few pages but didn't get this browser alert. Do you get this warning on IE 11? I wonder what's different in your test that you see it, because - as you can see from our support matrix - IE 11 is currently supported.

For this message to disappear automatically you would need to create a customization which either replaces the built in alert with a custom one or hides the built in one via JavaScript based on whether a 2 minute timeout cookie is set or not.

Before going that route which involves some development cost I would urge you to first make sure the alert is shown with valid browser combinations only. Then check your web analytics data to ensure it's worth the effort. Maybe you can identify a certain user base - mayb just visitors from certain companies - that still use the outdated browser. It might be worth reaching out to them to understand if
a) updating or changing their browser for community is an option
b) if they are actually bothered by that community alert

Hi @ClaudiusH 

Thank you.

I still get the message? See attached:

clipboard_image_1.png

Ouch seems like a very technical way to do so? I do not think I have the right abilities to do so? 

@HelgaMarieAuran do you think this is something we can do? So users having Internet Explorer newer than v10 do not see the Alert? 

Khoros Alumni (Retired)

That looks like a bug to me, then as you shouldn't get this message with your browser version. I suggest you contact Khoros support to get this troubleshooted. Here's mine:

clipboard_image_0.png

Thank you @ClaudiusH . I will make a ticket :) 

Welcome to the Technology board!

Curious about our platform? Looking to connect on social technology? You've come to the right place!

Are you a Khoros customer? For direct assistance from our Support team, please visit the Support Forum.