Public
Advisor

Email Notification Improvements for Khoros Communities

Hello!

I had a few questions about the Daily Digest notification ('Digest subscription notification [digest_notification.text]') and General subscription notification emails.

1. It appears that our Digest Subscription Notification email will include the entire text of a post, no matter how long it is. Is it possible to show  the first 1-3 lines as well as a link to read the rest of the post in the Community?

2. Is it possible to include images or gifs in the Digest Subscription Notification, or in a General subscription notification [immediate_general.text]? If not, might this be added in the future?

I wasn't able to find the answers to these questions on the Khoros Community on this topic but feel fee to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance! 

Seller Community, Square
15 Replies 15
Khoros Staff

Hi All!

This thread has great information that others in the wider Atlas community might benefit from. Would anyone be opposed to my sharing it on the Communities Product Discussions board? I hope to do so early next week, so please let me know either here or via PM.

Thanks,
Aryanna

Advisor

@AryannaK Sounds like a good idea!

Seller Community, Square
Honored Contributor

There's actually a function from Apache Velocity (the template engine powering Khoros notification emails) that should allow for truncating. Documentation is here: https://velocity.apache.org/tools/devel/apidocs/org/apache/velocity/tools/generic/DisplayTool.html

According to that you should be able to truncate the body to 200 characters by replacing occurances of

${notification.formattedBodyPlainText}

with

$display.truncate(notification.formattedBodyPlainText, 200)

Haven't tried it out, but worth a shot.

If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.

Thanks @Claudius! I'll check this out with our developers to see if they've tried it/can try it!

Seller Community, Square
Trusted Contributor

We do this as well, show only parts of the posts and a "Read more" link to the full post. We would though want to send the emails through our marketing automation tool preferably, to get more insights on the usage. Anyone that does that?email.png

@HelgaMarieAuran 

We don't send it through the marketing platform but I do receive a weekly report (via email) from Analytics that provides email details.  I think this is relatively new functionality (last year?) but I could be wrong. 

Welcome to the Technology board!

Curious about our platform? Looking to connect on social technology? You've come to the right place!

Are you a Khoros customer? For direct assistance from our Support team, please visit the Support Forum.