Public

Forum + Category?

Hi! I am wondering if it's possible to have both a board and a group under a category. I am trying to build a section that has a public board area for anyone to access, and a private group area that is closed. Is it possible to have both of them under one category?

6 Replies 6
Honored Contributor

@Marrisa - Yes, you can create both the group and board under the same category.

Thanks

Is there something I'm doing wrong? This is my current set up:

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 11.40.24 AM.png

I want both the "JaneCon" board and the "JaneCon 2018" group to appear under the general "JaneCon" category, similar to how multiple categories would appear on a page, but it's not working.

Actually, you have created a wrong community structure. Janecon 2018 group is under the root Janecon category and not under the child category.

Please see the below SS: 

CS.png

You have to go to the Janecon child category and click on Create option and choose group/board from the drop-down menu.

CS2.PNG

Thanks,

Payal 

Khoros Alumni (Retired)

You can tell the type of each node apart via the icon in front of it. In the structure in your screenshot you seem to have created two "JaneCon" categories, with the second being a sub-category of the first. Easiest is if you move the "JaneCom" board (which has the speech bubble icon) one level up. To do that select "Move" from the action list that shows when you hover above it. Then you can remove the now empty "JaneCon" sub-category.

Khoros Best Practice until August 2019. Onwards posting as Claudius.
Learn how to master Khoros. Learn Best Practice in the Community Documentation
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.

Thanks for the help, guys. I tried your fix and unfortunately, it's still not doing what I want it to. The posts from the two forums are combined into one big forum instead of two separate forums if that makes sense. For example,Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 10.16.32 AM.png

The first post below is supposed to be in a separate private forum titled "JaneCon 2018," and the second post is supposed to be in the public "JaneCon" forum, but both the public and private forums are supposed to be under the "JaneCon" category.

Here's the fix I made, is this correct?Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 10.17.59 AM.png

I want them to appear in two separate boards, as such:Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 10.18.35 AM.png

Khoros Alumni (Retired)

The setup you shared with the screenshot from community admin is correct now. Well done.

I think what your first screenshot shows is the JaneCon discussion board. You can tell the difference from the URL: If it contains "ct-p" it would be the category page, if it contains "bd-p" it's a discussion board. The easiest for "de-bugging" the disconnect between your structure in the backend and what you can see in the frontend might be to temporarily rename the "JaneCon" category in the structure to "JaneCon Category" so you can tell it apart from the board.

The third page that you showed in the screenshot looks like a custom page layout since none of the Lithium out of the box pages looks like that. Quite possibly you would need to change the "JaneCon Category" page layout to the same custom layout that is used on the category where you took that screenshot. Here are the instructions on how to change a node's page layout via community admin: https://community.lithium.com/t5/Pages-and-layouts/Override-a-default-page/ta-p/108961

Khoros Best Practice until August 2019. Onwards posting as Claudius.
Learn how to master Khoros. Learn Best Practice in the Community Documentation
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.

Welcome to the Technology board!

Curious about our platform? Looking to connect on social technology? You've come to the right place!

Are you a Khoros customer? For direct assistance from our Support team, please visit the Support Forum.