Public
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

How do I auto-close threads after a set time?

I'd like to close threads automatically after say 6 months with no response. I could've sworn I saw this setting somewhere but now I can't find it and I don't see it anywhere in the KB.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Also, does 6 months seem like a general good length of time?

--

8 Replies 8
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hey

Not possible at the moment sorry;( there is an idea in need of support which I'll try find for you to kudos.

Sorry 🙂

Stephen

Checkout some of the stuff i've built using the platform:

Community l Ideation l Blog l Product Hubs l Check & Report l Service Status 

My latest Ideas: Vanity URL Manager l @mention Roles l  LSW Password Policy

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

No worries, I just thought I had seen it somewhere and then couldn't find it a second time.

--

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm happy to be proven wrong as I would use this feature but I don't think we have it yet 🙂

Stephen

Checkout some of the stuff i've built using the platform:

Community l Ideation l Blog l Product Hubs l Check & Report l Service Status 

My latest Ideas: Vanity URL Manager l @mention Roles l  LSW Password Policy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@sherrie

This is a popular request and not part of the platform as yet. I've been asking for it for a while!

Do add your vote and comments to this thread - http://community.lithium.com/t5/Product-Ideas/System-for-handling-old-threads/idi-p/65706

If you need the functionality in a hurry, you could do it yourself. I used to manage a support-based community, and we implemented a custom solution that automatically closed all threads six months after they were created by simply removing the reply option on the thread.

A message was also placed on the top of the thread:

"This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
If you have a question please post a new topic."

I think it was a good solution. You don't lose any SEO value and you are alerting community members that the information contained in the thread may be out of date. Of course, some might even want to customise the message above to specifically say something like "The information contained below may be out of date."

Here's an example if you are curious - http://community.myob.com/t5/Getting-started-with/Budget-Profit-and-Loss/td-p/19302

All the best,

Jason

Generic1.jpg

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Awesome, thanks Jason! That's basically exactly what I'm wanting to do.

Added my vote and feedback to the product idea.

--

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JasonHill wrote:

I used to manage a support-based community, and we implemented a custom solution that automatically closed all threads six months after they were created by simply removing the reply option on the thread.

[...]

I think it was a good solution. You don't lose any SEO value and you are alerting community members that the information contained in the thread may be out of date.

Hi Jason, thanks for sharing. Did the closed topics remain in the board they originated in as to not mess with search / SEO -- as opposed to moving all closed topics to a read-only archive?

----------------------------------

Lili McDonald
Senior Community Manager @ Udemy
Connect on LinkedIn
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yes @lilim, we left the posts in their original board. 

Most of them would still have value. Deciding which posts were still valuable and which were not would be a major undertaking that is just not worth the trouble and expense. I decided I would rather invest that energy in better supporting our customers.

But it would have been interesting to explore some sort of option that let customers "downvote" content, with a rule that once it's been downvoted a certain number of times it gets flagged to the moderation team to decide whether to archive or not. 

All the best,

Jason

Generic1.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JasonHill wrote:

Most of them would still have value. Deciding which posts were still valuable and which were not would be a major undertaking that is just not worth the trouble and expense. I decided I would rather invest that energy in better supporting our customers.

Definitely a good point.

For us, since our support boards are focused on software and hardware, we could consider archiving topics for products that are obsolete. Still a big undertaking either way.

Thanks!

----------------------------------

Lili McDonald
Senior Community Manager @ Udemy
Connect on LinkedIn