Public
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Moderator rights on community level vs. category level

Hi all. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am new to Lithium and how roles and permissions work here. 

The challenge: Create a private category with limited membership and allow moderators to manage membership (adding and removing users).

I successfully created the private category and populated it with the needed boards. I also have the access roles set up correctly. Where I am stuck is my moderator role. 

At the community level, I have these permissions for the moderator role:community-level.jpg

However, I only have these permission at the category-level:category-level.jpg

Both roles are named the same, per the documentation: https://community.lithium.com/t5/Roles-and-permissions/Create-a-category-moderator-role/ta-p/108789 

However, the end result I am experiencing is that the moderators for this private category can't manage users, which is an issue since this is a worldwide team with hundreds of members. I can't be the only person who can add or remove users for this private space. 

Any idea what I am doing wrong??? 

6 Replies 6
Honored Contributor

Hi @Inactive User -

You should also grant the "manage roles in user profiles" permission. This will allow your moderators to grant roles directly from a user's profile, rather than needing to access the admin console. Also, you may end up needing to set the permissions to "allow grant" rather than "grant" to ensure that this moderator role can grant the proper roles.

----------------------------------

Lili McDonald
Senior Community Manager @ Udemy
Connect on LinkedIn
Highlighted
Not applicable

Thanks, @lilim! I will make that adjustment and see if that works. 

Highlighted
Not applicable

@lilim Turning on that feature is very convenient (yay!) but didn't solve my issue. When logging in as a moderator, I can see a dropdown of certain roles but not the ones I would need to assign access to this private category. I feel like I am missing a setting somewhere...

Highlighted

@Inactive User

Have the roles been created at community level? 

If they have been created only at category level you will have issues....

Jason

Generic1.jpg

Highlighted
Not applicable

@JasonHill, yes, the roles have been created at community level as well. With the exact same names, per the documentation.
Highlighted

lindafrembes wrote:

@lilim Turning on that feature is very convenient (yay!) but didn't solve my issue. When logging in as a moderator, I can see a dropdown of certain roles but not the ones I would need to assign access to this private category. I feel like I am missing a setting somewhere...

You have to ensure that the moderator role has "higher access" than the role it is trying to grant. Or think of it has being "higher in the hierarchy." For example, if the lower level role has a granted permission that the moderator role does NOT have, then the moderator role wouldn't be considered higher up. You may need to use the "allow grant" on the moderator role permissions too instead of grant.

----------------------------------

Lili McDonald
Senior Community Manager @ Udemy
Connect on LinkedIn