Public
Advisor

Paid Subscription for Lithium Communities

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has a two tier community with a free and paid subscription option? If so I would be really interested to know how you have implemented this. I wonder whether it would be possible using an external platform to manage payment and membership which then allocates a role/rank to those that have paid giving access to private boards/ blogs and knowledge bases with extra (paid for) content. Any ideas for how this could be done?

TIA

Ceri

4 Replies 4
Honored Contributor

@cheathcote - Yes, this could be done and we can have different roles for different users based upon whether they have a paid or unpaid subscription. 

Would be great if we can scope this out together for more details.

Varun : Weaving magic with Khoros!

Recent Ideas: Advanced Private Messages | Rewarding Module | Badges for Threads
Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Hi Ceri,

Just to clarify: You are not looking to introduce a "community subscription", but would like to see your customer's subscription status be reflected on community as well, right? Because apart from this model being successfully applied to communities within the community management industry I can't think of any place this worked out. This is because paid community areas cannot be indexed for web searches and you therefor lose precious organic traffic. Also the competition of free or "freemium" content will mean that you need to have a really good selling proposition in place.

The easiest technical implementation would probably be using an SSO login option and the SSO token returning the "free/paid" information that is obtained from your CRM. This is what some of our customers use to separate a paid area in their communities that is customers only from the one available to the general public.

Khoros Best Practice until August 2019. Onwards posting as Claudius.
Learn how to master Khoros. Learn Best Practice in the Community Documentation
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

ClaudiusH wrote:

The easiest technical implementation would probably be using an SSO login option and the SSO token returning the "free/paid" information that is obtained from your CRM. This is what some of our customers use to separate a paid area in their communities that is customers only from the one available to the general public.

Another possibility would be to have the (external, non Lithium) system that stores the user subscription details make calls into our Lithium REST API to grant and revoke roles as appropriate. The technical integration would be done in that third party system only, and leveraging our existing APIs. But yes, without SSO you will need to manage the mapping between your user accounts (in your systems) and the ones stored in Lithium. So I still vote for @ClaudiusH 's idea - also considering that SSO brings other benefits into the mix for communities in general.

Paolo Tagliaferri
Principal Technical Consultant

Lithium

@ClaudiusH Thanks for your reply. Yes we are considering providing paid content which would sit alongside the core community (this would remain free) and would like to see customer's subscription status be reflected on community so we can manage access to paid content. I understand exactly what you are saying with regard to organic traffic and quality of paid content though. The suggestion of SSO could be a possibility for us.

@PaoloT Thanks for your reply. yes the system that you have described is what I was thinking of. The SSO was something we decided not to do for a few reasons but may be worth us investigating again. 

Welcome to the Technology board!

Curious about our platform? Looking to connect on social technology? You've come to the right place!

Are you a Khoros customer? For direct assistance from our Support team, please visit the Support Forum.