Public
Occasional Contributor

Special Characters in login name

Is it possible to allow all special characters in login name. Out of the box only - and _ are supported.

3 Replies 3
Honored Contributor

@sandeep1988 - No, that is something which is neither possible nor recommended. 

Varun : Weaving magic with Khoros!

Recent Ideas: Advanced Private Messages | Rewarding Module | Badges for Threads
Khoros Alumni (Retired)

My understanding is that the current limitation to user names was deliberately chosen to prevent hickups when creating components using Freemarker. Keep in mind though that most scripts like فارسی or ภาษาไทย are allowed so you should be well covered.

Are there any particular characters you think about that are preventing community members from picking the community name they desire?

Khoros Best Practice until August 2019. Onwards posting as Claudius.
Learn how to master Khoros. Learn Best Practice in the Community Documentation
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.
Valued Contributor

Members can create names with some special characters or non-Latin letters and even accents. The problem arises when you know their name, and want to search for the user, because if you do not have the characters available you will never find them. If someone were to create the user name Fréd and you search on users for Fred they will never show in the results. Be careful what you wish for; this can be a problem.

Welcome to the Technology board!

Curious about our platform? Looking to connect on social technology? You've come to the right place!

Are you a Lithium customer? For direct assistance from our Support team, please visit the Support Forum.