Khoros Atlas Logo

Advisor
Advisor

Banning a user and in what situations do you do it?

Jump to solution

Hello all,

What happens when you ban someone? I found this post, but it doesn 't really cover it. 

https://community.khoros.com/t5/Community-Moderation/Ban-a-user-from-the-community/ta-p/109755

Also, what are some situations where you would ban someone (for not doing anything wrong). 

Our community is SSO and sometimes people leave one company and join another and they end up with two accounts but different emails. Would this be a situation where you would ban the old person, or let it live on?

Any other non-serious situations you've banned someone? 

Thanks,

Ryan

Tags (1)
5 Replies 5
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Banning a user and in what situations do you do it?

Jump to solution

Hi @i_am_ryan - when you ban a user and they attempt to login again, they will see a message on the page that states they have been banned and why (if a reason was left).

I don't think I've encountered a scenario in which we have banned someone other than the standard reasons such as a spammer or troll. 🤔 If a user had multiple accounts, and for some reason we needed to close one, we would use the close account feature instead.

----------------------------------

Lili McDonald
Community Operations Manager
@ DataRobot
0 Kudos
Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution

@lilim Thanks!

I didn't know where was a close account feature. Any documentation on this?

What happens to banned users content? Do we have options to remove it, keep it there but changed to a fake name?

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Here is some info on how to close an account. You need to have Khoros Support enable the feature first.

When banning a user, nothing automatically happens to their content. However, there is an option on the user profile to "mark all posts as spam". Keep in mind though that the systems learns what we mark as spam, so this option may not be the best if you want to remove content from a normal user gone rogue. 

Closing an account will anonymize the user's posts. This can't be undone after the 10 day "soft delete" period, so exercise caution when doing this. The docs on GDPR compliance goes over this.

Lili McDonald
@ DataRobot
0 Kudos
Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution

Hi @lilim 

Thanks for your help. Just to clarify. 

1. If we ban a user, nothing happens to their content unless I take the action of marking their content as spam. So a banned user's content and name would continue to exist in the community. 

2. Closing an account will keep all the users posts, but be changed to an anon. name. This would be kind of similar to deleting a user?

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

1. Yes, that's correct. 👍

2. Yes and to clarify - "closing" and "deleting" are used interchangeably here.

Lili McDonald
@ DataRobot