Khoros Atlas Logo

Advisor
Advisor

Community Newsletter

Jump to solution

Hi all!

I am new to Lithium and wondering if there is a way to send a Newsletter with popular content etc from Lithium itself? I can't see one and older posts from 2015 suggest doing this outside of Lithium. Just wondered if you could share what you've done as ideas or guidance or if you know new functionality has been built to do this?

Thanks!

10 Replies 10
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Community Newsletter

Jump to solution

Blogs can be used for this in theory, the problem is that your customers would have to subscribe to the Blog, and they would then get all future "newsletters" (articles) that are created in that blog.

Generally speaking though, if you want to send it to all of your users, you will want to export the entire user list and use a marketing tool to send out emails.

Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Hello & welcome aboard, 

In short and in answer to your question No, the platform doesn't have anything to support this. Some people do have one but they are using a 3rd party tool to do this. 

You can do bulk PM's which will also send an email to the end users but there is a limit on how many people you can PM in one go which is 10k and so because of it's not really a solution for a site-wide newsletter but useful to blast a message to a pre-defined cohort of users which you can filter by role. 

Another way to try and do something along these lines which i've heard others say they will try "not sure if its worked" but you could do brand the generic emails sent by the platform such as kudos, solutions etc and try to get them to pull content into the email from a custom content container, you could try and build a  "whats hot... " section on the email and pull the content from somewhere that you can easily edit without doing deployments. 

As i say not sure the above is 100% possible but heard people say they would try it.... 

Stephen

Checkout some of the stuff i've built using the platform:

Community l Ideation l Blog l Product Hubs l Check & Report l Service Status 

My latest Ideas: Vanity URL Manager l @mention Roles l  LSW Password Policy

Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution

Thanks both! That's really helpful. I had read the same on other community posts from 2015 so wanted to check in case anything had been produced since. 

I think for launch, a simple blog within the Community and a separate marketing system email for the newsletter will be a great start as per your comments @StanGromer  but I think in the future we will also try your suggestion on extra content within the standard emails  @Fellsteruk !

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @sarajaynerow 

We just build a custom E-Mail Feature on Lithium that allows you to send E-Mails out of Lithium. 

You can: 

- Ad users (export them from admin) 

- Create a custom E-Mail

We still work on some more features but if you're interested feel free to PM me

Best 

Jan 

Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

I think this is a major shortfall of the platform. Notifications are okay for those already interacting with the community regularly, but there is nothing to drag lapsed users back. 

We're currently building a monthly newsletter featuring some of the best content from the last month in an external EDM platform. We'll then have to export the list of members each month to do the send.  I think this will be very effective in increasing engagement.

We're also working to add content to Lithium's notification emails. This is proving difficult but I will share the results soon.

Good luck,

Jason

Generic1.jpg

Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Sounds exciting @JasonHill 

Stephen

Checkout some of the stuff i've built using the platform:

Community l Ideation l Blog l Product Hubs l Check & Report l Service Status 

My latest Ideas: Vanity URL Manager l @mention Roles l  LSW Password Policy

0 Kudos
Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution

Just to add what we went live with in the end. We created a blog space called Community Newsletter and automatically subscribe all users on registration to that space (they can then unsubscribe themselves if required). Khoros helped us with auto subscribing new users. 

Everytime we post a blog update (we schedule this for the last day every month), an automatic subscription email is sent to all subscribed users. We then monitor the activity in the community and notice that page views increase by around 700% on newsletter day. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Great work @sarajaynerow. I think it will be really helpful to other CMs to know that support can automatically subscribe all users on registration. I assume all existing users were also automatically subscribed?

Did you get any feedback from users that the auto subscription was unwelcome?  

Jason

Generic1.jpg

Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution

The odd member has unsubscribed but as it is a page, they can still navigate to it and see it in Recent Activity so don't lose out. The majority of our members have retained the subscription and many have fed back positively about it.