cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Edit subject without changing url

Hi all! 

Does anyone know if it's possibile to edit the subject of a forum post without getting the url updated? I've noticed now that the url is changed when we edit the subject. 

Thanks,

Lisa 

7 Replies 7
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hi Lisa,

as far as I know and from my experience, the URL change will always happen, but I am happy to get proved wrong!

But the URL ID stays the same, and so, it will lead everyone into the correct board if the "old" URL is linked somewhere.

I hope this helps you.

Best, Esther

Community Manager @TeamViewer
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Lajs - As @Esther_H mentioned, the URL will always change - but irrespective of that, the URL will always redirect to the correct post. The reason the URL changes to the new subject is actually for the SEO friendliness. 

Also, the URL's on Khoros are dependent only on the ID's and rest of the part is just for readability and SEO.

I hope this helps.

Varun : Weaving magic with Khoros!

Recent Ideas: Advanced Private Messages | Rewarding Module | Badges for Threads
Highlighted

Just adding to what @Esther_H and @VarunGrazitti  have said.   The node type and post ID are the only really important things in the URL.  For example, here's a URL to this thread that works just fine:  https://community.khoros.com/t5/-/-/td-p/567588  You can put anything in the middle and the URL still directs to the correct post so changing the subject has no impact on the viability of the URL.  

--
Community manager in the Micro Focus Community. My computer always used to beat me at chess, but it is no match for me now I changed the competition to kick boxing.
Highlighted
New Commentator

Many novice create their blog on Blogger.com just for fun and named it without planning. Many of them even donโ€™t know why and for which purpose they had created that blog. 

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Hi all! 

Thanks for your answers! 
What I've been taught is that there is a chance that your posts could get worse ranking on Google if you change the url. That's why we would like to keep the url as it is even if we edit the subject of the post. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Lajs - In that case, check with the Khoros PS if something could be accomodated as per your needs. May be, skipping the entire subject line  and just keeping the thread ID, which would mean you'd retain your original URL even if the title changes. In any case, there is no way this could be done by any form of customization, other than the PS.

Varun : Weaving magic with Khoros!

Recent Ideas: Advanced Private Messages | Rewarding Module | Badges for Threads

Thanks @VarunGrazitti for the advice!

I'll ask them ๐Ÿ™‚