Khoros Atlas Logo

Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Formatting Lost in Subscription Emails

Hiya, we have a blog area which users are subscribed to however when we add a post with Bold Text, Bullet Points etc, all of that formatting is lost in the email that is sent to the community member. 

Spacing still applies as well as URL's however Bullet Points, Bold, Italics, Font Sizing is lost, am I missing a key setting at all?

5 Replies 5
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Formatting Lost in Subscription Emails

Hi @sarajaynerow , it appears your issue may be related to this one that I went to support for, and they told me to create an idea so I did:   https://community.khoros.com/t5/Li-Product-Ideas/Fix-handling-of-quoted-text-in-email-notifications/...

--
Community manager in the Micro Focus Community. My computer always used to beat me at chess, but it is no match for me now I changed the competition to kick boxing.
Advisor
Advisor

Thanks @kgroneman , similar lines but I think mine is specific to the formatting of the body text. 

When in my blog, it is left justified, with Bold Titles and Bullets underneath. When sent as an email, all bold and italics disappear and the bullets wrap into one large paragraph. 

Has anyone else come across this? Is this standard behaviour to lose formatting on outwards emails for subscriptions?

I was hoping the blog would come out in the email exactly as it would when entered into the blog?

Khoros Oracle
Khoros Oracle

This is a very interesting question / challenge.  I was under the impression that if the user had their options set to HTML in their subscription formatting (My Settings > Subscriptions & Notifications > Email Format), that none of this would be a problem.  Please see this thread:

https://community.khoros.com/t5/Support-Forum/Subscription-Email-Formatting/m-p/216741#M10382

But then I doublechecked (in the Admin console) to see if an Admin can even set it up to be HTML as a 'profile default', but unfortunately, that is not an option.  Perhaps a Support Ticket can be opened to have that setting changed to HTML for all users as a default...but that presumes that there is a back-end configuration setting that Support can alter.  I dont know the answer to that one.

Historically, brands that really wanted to go the distance on customizing emails always were able to have fancy HTML  formatting in all of their emails that the Community generated (some gymnastics in Lithium Studio was required, but the modifications were definitely achievable).  More info on how that is done over here

But regardless of customized emails or not, I do believe that a user has an option to set whether the emails are HTML formatted or not.  Perhaps that is the issue in this scenario.

0 Kudos
Advisor
Advisor

Thanks for the response @JakeR . 

Our emails are set using HTML and the majority are coming out perfectly when we put the formatting into the HTML itself in Admin. 

I think our issue is that the subscription emails, although coming out in HTML, are not taking any formatting added in to the body of the article that it is taking across. 

For example, if I add bullets to a blog post and that blog post is subscribed to which triggers an email, the email brings out the content of the blog post but does not bring out the formatting. 

0 Kudos
Khoros Oracle
Khoros Oracle

Yeah - I thought that if the user has HTML enabled in their emails, that the HTML (no matter if it is embedded content or not) will ALL be respected.  I guess in this case we have to throw our lot in with that idea kgroneman linked earlier in this thread (which I voted for, btw), but I still think you should open a Support ticket anyway. 

As an employee of Khoros, I am a believer that we need to push hard on certain things (using Ideas, using Support Tickets, etc) in order to get through an improvement to the product that really should be part and parcel with the platform as a whole (and not necessarily an 'improvement').  But hey, the way I also look at the product at this point is that we're just continuously 'polishing the diamond'.  It is already best-in-class by far, but there are little incremental improvements that still need to happen.