cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Khoros Staff

Getting customers to share stories in your community?

Have you ever struggled to get a customer to share their story with others? What were some ways you succeeded in making this happen?

We have used our Announcing the Khoros Kudos Awards for this purpose in the past. Sometimes we also get amazing submissions like from @StanGromer  aboutHow we are utilizing Group Hubs . But I am interested if any of you pros have ideas about how to make this happen more often.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Providing an incentive that will stoke the motivations of your audience is the way to go. It could be awards, time on stage at a conference, a donation to the charity of their choice, prominent placement on the site to promote their career, etc.

The biggest hurdle to overcome is Imposter Syndrome. Many people worry that their story isn't interesting enough or that they'll look foolish. Encouraging them to share, offering to help edit it, and showing them examples of others that have shared is really important to get over the hump.

In B2B, there's also the matter of what they think they can share without getting in trouble with their organization. There are ways of disassociating the story with a company and telling the story without giving away any inside information. Making the company field optional can help with this, even though you really want those logos 😉

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We've had recent success with our Projects Gallery - https://community.meraki.com/t5/Meraki-Projects-Gallery/con-p/projects - a place that is explicitly for people to share their stories / projects using our technology, and where there are non-intimidating examples of other people doing the same. We haven't promoted this very much yet, but have some great entries just from word of mouth!

Highlighted

I saw that and I actually highlighted it in a meeting the other day as a great example of how to use contests and media together @CarolineS. Thanks for the insight @BrianOblinger 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

What Brian said about impostor syndrome is legit - I hate talking about my own stuff.  With that said, I love learning about what everyone else is working on/how they are innovating, so it's the only way to keep that cycle going - Got to give a little to be able to keep taking.  I throw out so much stuff I type out though and never end up submitting to places, it's horrendous - On a personal level I do my best to catch myself and not do that, which translates to more bluntness/transparency in things than I intend, but eh, is what it is 🤣

In our Community we have a Best Practices section - It's really just that - A place to highlight Best Practices from our users, partners, employees.  It's a mix of tips and tricks, how-to's, and general cool stuff that doesn't necessarily fit into our 'help' site, but different ways to extend our own platform. Articles come from literally everyone - end users, model builders, partners, internal employees, our own product managers, etc.

We try to maintain a good relationship with all the various stakeholders internally and they themselves will encourage our customers to bring stuff into Community - For us, it's a selling tool as much as a support tool as much as a Community piece to tie folks together (Our community is public/open) - So our internal teams see the continued benefits by adding more content into there, they can better support their customers, who they then in turn encourage to write articles, which is then used as just more examples of how customers are able to solve any/all use cases with our platform and that we have a helpful active community, which is used by our sales team to get more sales, which triggers new use cases and Best Practices to be written.  Which means our Community team looks awesome by adding all of this content, when all we really did was say "Hey CS/AE/SA person, please write up what you did when finished up on your next cool project" and poof, we got content.

A lot of users who submit into our Best Practices do like the love they get from it - They can share it on Linkedin, they get their name out there, they are becoming an expert in their field.  For our platform, it's growing crazy fast - Smart folks know that having your name attached to an article on our site is a resume mark - It will put them ahead of everyone else.  It's a way to set yourself apart from the crowd.  For others, they just like to share their knowledge/participate/give back, and actually hate  the recognition.  I want to say we have had to ghost write articles for folks who don't want their own name out there - They just don't want the 'recognition' that comes with it - It's meaningless to them but they don't want their knowledge to go to waste.

Final thought specific to Khoros: Where is the Khoros PS team in all of this?  Why are they not writing out 'true stories' of everything they are working with customers on?  Why are they not sharing their own Best Practices of how they are levering/integrating the Khoros platform with all of your customers?  I'll say it again, Khoros team in general is doing tremendously more in being active in the Atlas, but that's the next steps - Start showing us how you are building stuff, what you are thinking going into general engagements, the thinking behind problems/solutions, etc.  I'm not talking about "marketing" material to use pre-sale, but actual engagements, retro summary type of recap.  What worked/what didn't work/what could be done better in the future.  Start seeding content/giving examples, and the rest will (maybe) follow!