Khoros Atlas Logo

Highlighted
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Has anyone started with just 1 Badge?

Hello,

We are considering turning on gamification for the sole purpose of identifying people going to our user conference.

We would want to expand this to a true program in the next 8 months.

I would love thoughts from my peers: pros and cons.

Thanks for any insight.

0 Kudos
6 Replies 6
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone started with just 1 Badge?

We started with just a couple of badges, for people who had obtained our certifications (granted manually via a role assignment a couple times a week). I think a slow rollout of badges isn't a problem; it gives you the opportunity to make a big deal of each badge (or collection of badges). 

Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

We rolled out as a big batch and honestly, I think it caused some confusion as some members didn't see the blog about the launch.

Starting small with badges for events, anniversaries and single actions would probably be a good start then roll out the multi action (kudos, solutions, posts, replies, etc) for ongoing activity later.

That said, it only took a short time for people to see the badges as BAU so either approach works.

Honored Contributor

I think starting small is quite good as well. You can start with a very simple effective gamification strategy allowing you to add badge assignments later.

But would love to hear more about your use case. You mentioned "We are considering turning on gamification for the sole purpose of identifying people going to our user conference"

How would you identify these people and assign a badge? Is it pure for the identification (than other solutions may be easier) or is it to make use of the opportunity to start with gamification? Just trying to understand what you want to achieve (or in other words, what problem are you trying to solve?)

Happy Monday!
Wendy

Learning from others and helping where I can!
Community Passionista!
0 Kudos
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Wendy_S,

It would honestly be for identification but we could see ourselves using a different badge for each event.  We hold 2 a year.

I do however see it as still a start to gaming since they have done something (offline) to achieve the badge.

Does that help?
Melissa

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor

Hi @mhock 

If it is only for identification, assigning a role would suffice, no? 🙄

Unless you do indeed want to progress the roll out of badges.

But 1 is such a lonely number and members receiving it or not receiving it may get a certain expectation around receiving badges or might wonder what the purpose/plan is. Will they ask you for your plan around badges etc.

If it is for pure identification then you can achieve the same through role assignment.

🤠 Good luck!

Learning from others and helping where I can!
Community Passionista!
0 Kudos
Honored Contributor

We recently rolled out just 4 badges to start with, and they're pretty exclusive to a certain set of users. We had a good use case for doing this, and will plan to roll out the larger program at a later date.

----------------------------------

Lili McDonald
Sr. Digital Business Manager - Community
@ National Instruments
0 Kudos