Khoros Atlas Logo

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

How much members uses search

I just checked our numbers and noticed that if we have 100 visits they will perform 3,14 searches. Does this sound normal?

Our community is basically support community so from that perspective we should have more searches compared to visits?

Our search can be seen and found easily, it is located to our hero.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My latest Product idea - Renew the quote feature

0 Kudos
9 Replies 9
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: How much members uses search

Hi @Enidin 

Where does the majority of your traffic come from? If from external sources (i.e. Google) then they'd be landing on the page they searched for and wouldn't necessarily need to use community search.

Trusted Contributor

Good point, I forgot to mention that biggest traffic source is Google. Direct traffic is quite small.

So that's the reason?

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Our community also gets the majority of its traffic (~70%) from google. And our internal search #s are small.

Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Our ratio of user searches divided by unique visitors last month was just 0.04. 

@Enidin Are you finding that members are often asking questions that have already been answered in an existing thread? That would be a much more important reason for trying to encourage members to search first before posting than your search/user ratio.

Jason

Generic1.jpg

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@JasonHill Actually, no. They dont ask same questions.

I looked our search ratio because we are just redesigning our frontpage. Today the search field is in the hero but we will put it to the navigation and how it will be scaled with smaller screen that is what we are thinking about. 

Do you think the search is important for our users, if you think all the info I have told to you here?

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Enidin I think it's imperative to have a search tool that's easily accessible.

I agree with @JasonHill - making sure that members are finding what they're looking for should be priority. Are you using Promoted Search? We've found it to be quite beneficial in our support community.

Honored Contributor

@Enidin 

I think the value of search obvious increases as your knowledge base of content increases - that is, the more posts you have and the older your community is. 

In general, I think promoting search is always a good idea. Particularly in a support community where your objective is to help users find the quickest and most comprehensive answer to their problem so they can get back to work.

Jason

Generic1.jpg

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@StephenB wrote:

Are you using Promoted Search? We've found it to be quite beneficial in our support community.

Yes, we are using it with few cases. We should use it more, thank you pointed it.

@JasonHill wrote:

@Enidin 

I think the value of search obvious increases as your knowledge base of content increases - that is, the more posts you have and the older your community is. 

In general, I think promoting search is always a good idea. Particularly in a support community where your objective is to help users find the quickest and most comprehensive answer to their problem so they can get back to work.

Jason

I didn´t mean to hide search, sorry if you got that feeling. My point was that we have promoted search a lot, search field is the best place in our community today (desktop and mobile) and still they are not using it much. We promote search in a future also but we will do some small adjustments 🙂

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@JasonHill wrote:

Our ratio of user searches divided by unique visitors last month was just 0.04.

Earlier I calculated user searches divided by visits. Now I calculated user searches divided by unique visitors and got same result than you 0,04 (4%).

So, briefly, there isn´t anything "wrong" with our community though 🙂