Khoros Atlas Logo

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

Member and Content Retirement- Best Practices?

Hello folks,

I am working on some community clean-up. In the past I spoke with other CM's and there were no hard and fast rules around this but I though I would revisit considering GDPR and other privacy constraints that have become more impactful for community processes and policies.  

Could you share your thoughts on: 

1) At what time do you retire inactive members (people who have not logged in) 

• 1 year
  • 1.5 years
  • 2 years
  • Longer?
  • Why? Are there any considerations that are important with the time frame selected other than general clean up? My assumption is that if they haven't logged in in over a year they are probably not coming back. 

2) Deactivation vs. Deletion
I believe in most platforms there are 2 options: 

1. Deactivate- the system still retains their profile, data and created content. (Jive is this way) 
  2. Deletion- their profile, any participation AND content is deleted from the system

Anyone have a recommended mix here?
I am proposing to my stakeholders:

• Delete all never logged in
  • Delete all that have not logged in for over a year and never posted content (if I can track that)
  • Deactivate all that have not logged in for over 1 year

3) Content Deletion
If I can get the data it makes sense to try to delete: 

• All discussion threads (including questions) over 1 year with NO responses
  • All content over 2 years with no views and no activity (I am flexible with the timeframe here) 

Any other constraints or ways to get at old non valuable content that anyone uses? (FYI again I'm on Jive so limited tools) 

0 Kudos
4 Replies 4
Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

Re: Member and Content Retirement- Best Practices?

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @sleslie2017!

We currently don't do any deactivation or deletion of user accounts; haven't seen a need to "clean up" the user database as an individual user record is small, and we generally report on more recent metrics (e.g. users who logged in last month), so having extra inactive users hanging around doesn't mess with our metrics (other than the fun vanity metric of the total number of registered users :-). Which may as well be as big as possible).

Curious to follow this discussion to learn if there are GDPR-related requirements around this that we are not following!

Cheers!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Oh, and content deletion - we also don't delete any content. It just sticks around forever. I'd like to do some automatic locking of threads to new replies after a certain timeframe, but that's not a feature of Khoros at the moment. 

Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

My community is nearly 10 years old and we have never felt the need to clear out inactive users (we have a bit over 500K registered accounts and probably an equal number of partially completed one). It is very unlikely for users to come back after extended absence but why close the door when it costs nothing to keep it open? We have had users return after multi-year absences and in one case someone who posted a few times in 2012 without coming back in until 2016 and shortly after was on the shortlist to become a superuser so it can be worth it.

Additionally, our user accounts are linked to the customers SSO so blocking access is not something we would consider anyway but I appreciate that is not always the case or a problem for a lot of brands.

If you were to go down the path of deletion I would only do so for users who have done nothing. Users who had even contributed a tiny amount I would retain.

To your third point around content removal that is a tricky situation and really depends on the intent of your community. My community is a B2C support forum and due to the way our customers use our services it is not unusual for a question asked/answered several years ago to still be relevant. There are some areas where this is absolutely not true and we are working on a plan presently to clean up old content. Importantly we absolutely never delete content for any reason whatsoever. If content is deemed no longer relevant it is moved to a private location, however our future state will likely involve utilising a new archival feature that we have been involved in early access for.

As an early insight our clear out will likely take the following form;

• Archive all content that is older than 12 months and has not had a view in the past six months across all community
  • Archive content older than 12 months that has less than 100 views in high traffic board locations
  • Archive all content older than 12 months regardless of views in very specific support forums (these are related to annual products so last years commentary is rarely, if ever, relevant)

As an interim measure we have been blocking users from replying to threads over a certain age (it varies based on the board, typically 90 days) for over a year and this helps keep content fresh as users are more likely to post a new question.