Khoros Atlas Logo

quinnicus
New Commentator

New Emoji Package?

Hello there Lithium

I am a SuperUser of one of your fine forums - I do admit I have a love/hate relationship with Lithium forums. 

However there is one thing that has been bugging me for quite some time, its the Emojies.  I am unsure whether its up to you guys to develop/implement or my own community developers.  However it is in my humble opinion they do need a substantial refresh and modernisation.  Not too long ago Google did this on its Android system - maybe you guys can too?  Even go a step further and implement animated emojies?

Cheers

PS: Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong area 🙂

18 Replies 18
CCO Emeritus

Re: New Emoji Package?

Always nice to hear from a superuser, @quinnicus -- you folks make the world go round.

I was just thinking about this topic today when I was adjusting my Slack settings, where you can choose Apple style, Google style, Twitter style, or Emoji one style for your emojis there, which I thought was cool.

This request has also come in via our customer-only site for suggesting product enhancements. I would recommend that you add your vote there, but since it's not accessible to the public, I put in a vote on your behalf. Smiley Wink  

quinnicus
New Commentator

Hello @JoeC

Thank you very much for your kind words as well as a vote on my behalf - appreciated !!

Cheers

Occasional Contributor mrkevanlin
Occasional Contributor

Yes! I agree with the OP that the emoji's should be updated, that would be awesome!

Valued Contributor Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@quinnicus great point and totally aggree!

The eBay Community is looking into Emojione.com emojis, which have been implemented in other Lithium communities.

Look at Emojione.com

Lithium used emojione emogis in  https://www.dropboxforum.com

http://emojione.com/licensing/

How do I integrate Emoij One into my app or web-site?

Setup requires the installation of our development kit. Instructions are available within the kit. In short, there is a client side and server side option available. We recommend the assistance of a programmer and/or server administrator to properly configure it to your needs. There’s also a simpler implementation available for those who want to add some emoji to their website without using any scripts. Please head over to our Developers Page for more information.

From <http://emojione.com/faq/>

Tags (3)
Advisor
Advisor

+1 for the need for new emojis! the one's in the platform are pretty old school as well as there not being enough of them!

My community is B2B and emoji use is fairly low and even then a number of people have commented on the strange emoji selection.

Man Happy Robot Happy

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

Hi! I don't have access yet to that page you mentioned for customers only, though I'm definitely a customer. I would love to vote for updated emoji usage in Lithium! Can you put in a vote for me as well, please? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Khoros Alumni (Retired) ClaudiusH Khoros Alumni (Retired)
Khoros Alumni (Retired)

One thing to be aware is that all mobile 📱 keyboards already support easy insertion of emojis into messages 💬.

And on computers 🖥️ 💻  emojis are also just a few clicks or a keyboard ⌨️ shortcut away:

💡With this trend mainstream arrival of emoji use via keyboards I wonder if it's still worth investing much in the traditional emoticons. 🤔 I think they can add a lot of value if you have emoticons that are on brand (e.g. check out the Skype emoticons the Skype Community), but I think there's even an argument to completely remove 🕳️ the community emoticons. 😮

Khoros Best Practice until August 2019. Onwards posting as Claudius.
Learn how to master Khoros. Learn Best Practice in the Community Documentation
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

My users do like the ease of clicking a button in the WYSIWYG to select their emoji but i agree about removing them... In fact the lithium ones are so poor old and i get so many complaints about them from my users that i'm requesting for them to be removed from the editor until there is a better version or until user shortcuts and add-ons become more acceptable in my community this may take a while 😞 

🙈 🙈 🙈 🙈 🙈 🙈 🙈 🙈 🙈 🙈 🙈 🙈 🙈 🙈

Stephen

Checkout some of the stuff i've built using the platform:

Community l Ideation l Blog l Product Hubs l Check & Report l Service Status 

My latest Ideas: Vanity URL Manager l @mention Roles l  LSW Password Policy

Khoros Alumni (Retired) ClaudiusH Khoros Alumni (Retired)
Khoros Alumni (Retired)

doug_ebay wrote:

The eBay Community is looking into Emojione.com emojis, which have been implemented in other Lithium communities.

Look at Emojione.com

Lithium used emojione emogis in  https://www.dropboxforum.com

@doug_ebay If you can properly attribute Emojione you can already today simply replace the Lithium stock emoticons by them (which I assume is what was done for the Dropbox Forums). Take a look at the article 'Can I modify the emoticons in my Community'.

Khoros Best Practice until August 2019. Onwards posting as Claudius.
Learn how to master Khoros. Learn Best Practice in the Community Documentation
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.