cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

New Gallery featuring the community's best projects

I manage a community for home improvement discussion. We have members sharing inspiring projects every day, but they can get a little lost in the midst of questions from members who need a hand with the projects. 

We have now created a new Project Gallery that members can quickly and easily browse to see the best projects on the site in one convenient place. 

Users can filter their view of the gallery by label (topic) and sort by most popular or most recent. 

We've used custom tags to populate the gallery, so our team can quickly and easily tag projects as they are shared with the community so that they appear in the gallery. 

The post itself still lives in the board in which it was created, but has a visual identifier of a star and that it is a Featured Project. There's also a link to return to browsing the gallery if that is how the user navigated to the post. We want to further recognise and reward people who have their projects featured on the gallery with badges.

Keen to hear this community's thoughts on how we can continue to improve this new feature on our site. 

Jason

Project Gallery.png  

Project Gallery 2.png

Generic1.jpg

10 Replies 10
Honored Contributor

So cool! It looks gorgeous! Did you just repurpose a normal discussion board for this, or is it a different content type?

It must be #sharingthursday (I just made that up :))

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Also, can you tell me more about custom tags? I'm not familiar with those!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Custom tags are actually quite underrated I think and can power some really cool stuff. They are basically a toggle (checkbox; default off) to classify a post with the platform as meeting a certain criteria. These tags are hidden from general community members and you can use them to do something special with this content and due to the fact they are a simple checkbox, they couldn't be easier for admins/mods to use.

Capture.PNG

Two examples in the above picture are our suggested content and verified solutions.

Suggested content that appears anywhere from the 3rd to 8th thread in a list, similar to how Facebook drops an advert tile directly into your news feed. We call this 'Suggested' and style it so we are not misleading users.

Capture.PNG

The other we have currently is to 'verify' a solution. This allows our staff to mark the community provided solution as one endorsed by the brand. So users (and superusers) can mark that this post solves the problem using the Khoros accepted solutions system as normal but we can come along after and verify it. Verified solutions on our forum get a bit more custom styling so they stand out (and this custom styling appears in search results too).

Capture.PNG

Highlighted

Hey @CarolineS,

It's a custom page. We previously had a gallery repurposing the contests module but have retired it. It served its purpose in the early days of the community to encourage the sharing of images.  

You should get yourself across Custom Tags as they can be very useful. They are basically just tags that only mods and admins can see. We also use them for categorising content that we then feature on our brand's site so we can ensure relevancy and quality of the posts that we feature. 

Thanks for your interest,

Jason

Generic1.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Super cool, @DanK ! Really good to know about as we contemplate customizations. 

Highlighted

Ha, we are about to launch a repurposed contest as a project gallery :). A good first step, as you say.

Highlighted

Good luck with the launch @CarolineS

As I said, ours was successful in encouraging members to get into the habit of sharing photos right across the site, and provided a great place to quickly browse a lot of photos. 

But it did cause members confusion about where they should share their projects, and wasn't a great user experience when they wanted to share multiple photos. 

The new gallery means that we've removed the option of being able to post directly to it, so we've simplified project sharing, and we ensure all projects on the gallery are high-quality as they are hand-picked, so it's a fantastic place to browse.  

Jason

Generic1.jpg

Highlighted
Khoros Staff

This whole thread is amazing. Thanks for making my week everyone!

Please ask questions!
Highlighted

Beautiful and inspirational site Jason. Great feature learnings as we evolve our outdoor community site at REI. Really appreciate the insights and tips!