Khoros Atlas Logo

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Renewing ranks but idea is missing

@Enidin, from what I've seen in browsing other communities, the super-user designation (like VIP or Rockstar) is often separate from the community rank and is displayed as a separate icon by the username. A VIP member can still rank up based on their activity even though they're in that elite group.

Another thing to think about - a rank is earned according to a specific formula, so how would a member attain the guru designation? Would that be awarded by the CM or would it be based on the user making X amount of posts about a certain subject? I would think of that as a special title, but not a replacement for their current rank.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@hausmuswrote:

Hi, I may be a little late in helping on this topic, but I've come up with leaderboard level names for a few communities and I always try to focus on the industry terminology, artifacts, and history to come up with names. Try to think of things that level up in your field, such as storage space, history of technology, etc. I supported a building efficiency community and we made our levels floors of a building, skipping floor 13 and ending at the penthouse. In my current community, we use data rate units for leaderboard level names. Some examples to come up with something creative. 🙂 

Those are some good examples. I'm struggling with this right now as my company works to launch our customer community. We are in financial services, so it's tough to think of something topical yet fun.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@hausmuswrote:

Hi, I may be a little late in helping on this topic, but I've come up with leaderboard level names for a few communities and I always try to focus on the industry terminology, artifacts, and history to come up with names. Try to think of things that level up in your field, such as storage space, history of technology, etc. I supported a building efficiency community and we made our levels floors of a building, skipping floor 13 and ending at the penthouse. In my current community, we use data rate units for leaderboard level names. Some examples to come up with something creative. 🙂 

Thanks hausmus, you are not late 🙂 Good ideas, we have to think about those. Could you please tell more about those ”data rate units”-ranks? 🙂

@RyanMcClellandwrote:

@Enidin, from what I've seen in browsing other communities, the super-user designation (like VIP or Rockstar) is often separate from the community rank and is displayed as a separate icon by the username. A VIP member can still rank up based on their activity even though they're in that elite group.

Thanks Ryan. Our superusers are recognised with VIP rank. But I have forgotten, it can be as a icon also and like you said then they can rank up like other users. Thanks for this!

@RyanMcClellandwrote:
Another thing to think about - a rank is earned according to a specific formula, so how would a member attain the guru designation? Would that be awarded by the CM or would it be based on the user making X amount of posts about a certain subject? I would think of that as a special title, but not a replacement for their current rank.

”Guru” or other special ranks, so far we have created a competitions where members can win a special ranks for them. I have thinking about if I grant special ranks, just because I know them and their skills.

Summary:

- We should display VIP as a icon, not a rank

- Then VIP’s can earn ranks like any other members

- Then I can give special ranks for them, if I like, and they are still VIP’s because of VIP icon

Now I need just a good idea about how to renew ranks 😄

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My latest Product idea - Renew the quote feature

Khoros Alumni (Retired) ClaudiusH Khoros Alumni (Retired)
Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Here's another example: The Alteryx community themed around data analytics picked an astronomical theme:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Welcome-to-the-Alteryx-Community/User-Ranks-FAQs/td-p/10

And another from the Google Advertister community that went the route outlined by @SamR with sub-ranks in reach rank level:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Help-Resources/New-Community-Ranking-System/ba-p/906863

What both theses announcements in their "About the  Community" area have in common is that they show how you can share the complete rank structure (minus the formulae). Instead they explain broadly that your passive and - weighted more - active participation in the community will allow members to progress through the rank structure.

Khoros Best Practice until August 2019. Onwards posting as Claudius.
Learn how to master Khoros. Learn Best Practice in the Community Documentation
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Excellent, thanks a lot @ClaudiusH I got lot´s of ideas for us. I really appreciate 👍

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I noticed, there says:

...earn points by sharing posts on social media...

Is this out of the box -feature, I can't find anything related to this in our admin?

0 Kudos
Advisor
Advisor

@RyanMcClelland, so this may sound super cheesy, or not work, but what about place and/or decimal value levels. 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@hausmuswrote:

@RyanMcClelland, so this may sound super cheesy, or not work, but what about place and/or decimal value levels. 

Not cheesy! I'm really liking the Google Advertisers example @ClaudiusH shared, with most of the ranks having levels within them. We might do something similar with ranks indicating level of activity, but marry that with some of our branded visuals. 

0 Kudos
Khoros Alumni (Retired) ClaudiusH Khoros Alumni (Retired)
Khoros Alumni (Retired)

@RyanMcClelland wrote:

Not cheesy! I'm really liking the Google Advertisers example @ClaudiusH shared, with most of the ranks having levels within them. We might do something similar with ranks indicating level of activity, but marry that with some of our branded visuals. 

The only challenge I see with sub-levels within ranks is how you reliably present them in the global rank. Think of a first time visitor to your community (which most likely is the majority of your visitors) and them seeing two messages next to each other. One message from a member with rank "Talkalot (Level 3)" and "Rumor Mill (Level 1)". The "Talkalot" rank is actually the lower one. So you need to look at carefully crafting rank icon imagery that ensures "Level 1/2/3" within the rank name doesn't overtake the global rank structure.

Khoros Best Practice until August 2019. Onwards posting as Claudius.
Learn how to master Khoros. Learn Best Practice in the Community Documentation
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@ClaudiusHwrote:

@RyanMcClellandwrote:

The only challenge I see with sub-levels within ranks is how you reliably present them in the global rank. Think of a first time visitor to your community (which most likely is the majority of your visitors) and them seeing two messages next to each other. One message from a member with rank "Talkalot (Level 3)" and "Rumor Mill (Level 1)". The "Talkalot" rank is actually the lower one. So you need to look at carefully crafting rank icon imagery that ensures "Level 1/2/3" within the rank name doesn't overtake the global rank structure.

That's good advice, @ClaudiusH. I've browsed at a lot of communities as I brainstorm on this, and one thing I don't like about clever rank names is they tend not to give any indication of progression or hierarchy. As appealing as it would be to come up with something fun, I'd be okay with boring rank names as long as they are clear and don't cause confusion.